New to forum, BAR in the making...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nohup

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm new, here & just wanted to introduce myself & ask a question or two. I, as I'm sure are many of you, am a BAR (or about to become one). I flew lots of low power as a kid and teen, w/ a tremendous amount of fun, & few funny mishaps. About a year ago I was talking w/ a friend about how much we had loved rocketry & how much we'd like to build a rocket or two to launch. Last week on a whim I bought a little Qwest kit & built it up, waiting to fly it this weekend.

Searching about on the web I was amazed at all of the HPR info about, and I saw a local club was having a launch, so I went there. MAN, it was great to watch some of those big rockets launch. First time I'd seen F, G, or H engines.

YOW!! :D :D :D :D

Anyway, I'm afraid I'm gonna be hooked again, so I could use a bit of advice on a first big rocket. I have been looking mainly at the Aerotech Mustang, and Arreaux rockets, and someone also suggested the Initiator. I have built and designed Low Power before, and have fair modeling skills too, having an Art degree, built a musical instrument (Mandolin), etc., so I'm fairly comfortable w/ tools. I'd definitely like something that will fly on 24mm E engines, as well as F engines also. Do the AeroTech 24mm adapter mounts work well?

Any suggestions for the first big rocket for a big kid?
Thanks...

nohup,

I have used the adapter extensively on my Aerotech Mustang and it almost LIVES inside the rocket, as I can buy more E18W's for an equivelant price of E loads in 29mm. The Aerotech kits are pretty much the Cadillac of mid powered rockets, with heavy body tubes, through the wall fin mounts and nylon parachutes. Any one of their models is a good choice and will be and easy to assemble. What I would recommend is that you start shopping around for RMS hardware, eg: motor casings and also look for reloads to see what is still available. The Aerotech motor facility had a fire a month and a half or so ago and motors and reloads are getting hard to find.

But, don't let that get you down, you can still find some motors and have a great time at it!

Good luck, and Welcome Back!

Carl

I'm a little intimidated by the idea of loading engines, at least at first. Are there other makers who's engines would fit the AeroTech? Or should I maybe stick w/ the D & E rockets from Estes, etc. for now?

Welcome to the forum... My favorite kit of all time has got to be the Mustang. In fact, I just finished the paint job on my 3rd. I have a habit of killing them. Anyway, my suggestion to you would be the Mustang. Very easy, very cool looking, and very elegant in flight.

Let us know what you decide to do. And don't forget: pictures, pictures, pictures.

Aerotech kits; good choice! They're the best introduction one can get to the principles of mid-power construction [through the wall fins, something other than rolling up an elastic in a piece of paper]. I'd recommend the Mustang before the Initiator, though; the Initiator's fins are prone to popping out on anything other than a soft landing. Besides, the Mustang gets a little more altitude.

There aren't too many others besides Aerotech that make motors in the E-G power range. Aerotech kits supply you with an adaptor for their 24mm E motors, and a spacer for their F motors. The kits aren't TRULY proprietary by design; you can use Econojet motors in them. Aerotech just makes it easier to use their own motors.

Reloadable motor casings can be a good investment, especially if you use motors in that power range alot [like I do]. When you start going for certification [any level], reloadable motors become a necessity.

Welcome to our madness, and don't be afraid to be scared.

My first mid-power kit was a Aerotech Astrobee D. But I would recommend replacing the stock parachutes with slightly larger ones if you decide to purchase that particular kit.

Back