1/200 Saturn V and Saturn 1B PMC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Claunch

Reaction score
I would like to convert the two Saturn plastic models in the Man In Space Collection from AMT/ERTL. Has anyone tryed this or seen this done? I am open for your thoughs and coments.

I have started on the Saturn 1B. I am in the prosses of taking the parts and cutting out excess plastic to make the model lite.
I will use a BT-50 stuffer tube for the motor mount and recovery device. I have look at the Saturn V and it is cleat that a BT-60 tube can be used as a stuffer tube in it. What do you think? Can it be done?

Frank,

I have never seen one actually converted, but I did hear of someone actually convert a plastic model to a flier. I think he bought some some body tube to just fit inside the diameter of the rocket so it could be glued directly to the plastic walls for support, then worked in some centering rings and motor mount along with a bulkhead for parachute support. Don't ask me where I read about it because that info is long gone.

This sounds like an interesting attempt and the scale appearance would be right on! Let us know how you do and keep up with construction reports, as they become a valuable building resource for the next person.

Good luck,

Carl

The 1/200 Saturn 1B and Saturn V conversion haven't progress to far from last time. With the holadays over am begining to think about them again. Right now the biggest thing that I am trying to work out on the Saturn 1B is how to keep the engine from comming out at ejection time. I don't like a friction fit to hold the engine in. There is not much room for am engine hook to stick out because I want to be able to put the display engine disk back after flying for display. I also have to find the center of pressure and the center of gravity after the build progresses and use weight to seperate the points by one body width or more. The reason I picked this scale of rockets to try this on was to me the size is a good one. They are not to small and not to big. Easy to transprot, Easy to find materal to use to convert with. The accuracy is not good, these will be flown for fun not for contests. The kits can still be both, and in the end with the right paint job the look good. Enough fo now. Be back in a week or so to let you know if I get something done.

Ken Brown was/is the senior advisor for NOVAAR and I remember something he wrote about conversions of plastic models. I'll have to look in my files when I return from vacation.

In your conversion you'll need to make some clean cuts and then make your own couplers by gluing index or thicker into 1/2 of your cuts.

I too am interested in seeing this done and would encourage you to post progress reports here (with some pictures). Then upon completion of flying please post an article to EMRR. EMRR

We only have (1) other plastic conversion article on the site here

How do you plan on handling the recovery system?

- Nick

My plane for recovery is by two parachutes. The first will be attached to the bottom section that will end where the L.E.M.Housing starts. This section will have its own chute in a cradle sling. The second section will have its chute in a cradle sling to bring the L.E.M. Housing to the launch escape rockets section down. I hope to use the space from the L.E.M Housing all the way through to the command module to hold the weight needed to give the proper center of pressure to center of gravity needed to make it stable.
What do you think? Will it work? Only time and work will tell.

Frank
NAR # 65389

Sounds interesting. Best wishes, looking forward to seeing your progress. I've been eyeing a couple or Star Wars models that I have been thinking about trying to do a model to rocket conversion. Not going to jump into it right away though.

Nick

Back