What effect is Pearl?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
I bought this True Blue Pearl paint for the lower half of the AMRAAM 4 I'm building. I always thought that pearl meant that depending on the angle you view the color, the color is light or dark. Well, it didn't do that and so I think my definition of pearl paint may be wrong. Can someone help me out?

I always thought that it meant that the paint would have some "swirlies" in it. :)

A Pearl Paint is supposed to be iridescent, just as you thought.

However, if you want the really spectacular effects it can provide, you need to apply it over other painted shapes on the object.

In other words, let's say you painted a barber's pole (of red and white) on the rocket. But then you covered all of that with a Pearl Paint like the one you tried. The effect that you desire would then occur.

From some angles of view the rocket would appear to be a shimmering blue, but from other angles it would be a sort of translucent blue with red and white spirals in it.

And regardless of the scheme, Pearl is "Way Cool".

So a "Pearl" paint was meant to go over another color? Well, I did that all wrong. Well, it does have some interesting effects to it. I may have to try that paint again with a under color coat and then the pearl on the top... Thanks...

Back