A testoment to take to heart...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrode

Reaction score
My Brother-in-Law.. was getting ready to clear coat his LOC Onyx that he has had painted for a few weeks now. He painted it in three colors... 2 of the colors Red and Green were done with Painters Touch paint and in between is a big white strip deviding the colors and was Krylon paint. The clear coat is Krylon as well. He started on the Nose Cone.. and very quickly the paint started to react to the clear coat. So add this to the list. Painter Touch paint isn't compatible to Krylon clear coat. I'll let you know when He get's some of the Painter touch clear coat and try's it's compatiblilty with Krylon paint ( on a test piece of course) if there is a reaction.. I guess he'll go with out clear coat, and just have learned a lesson on mixing paint's.

Yep something I learned long ago... test your paints before applying to the real thing. And more importantly test on similar surfaces, with similar techniques and as close to the same conditions as the real thing. Even something as simple as humidity and temperature can play a big part in your finish.

I'm glad you mentioned that... The upper part of the A4 is painted in Painter's Touch... I was going to use Krylon clear on it... Thanks...

Hey, I tried the rustoleum painter's touch primer with Testors color coat. It went on like a dream. I am very, very impressed. The testors can are interesting as they only spray a thin mist, unlike some of the hardware store paints. The thin mist required several coats to make it 100% color, but when I was done: no cracking and no multi-finish (as experienced on the Mirage). As I said I'm very impressed.

So, here are my current theories:

1) Light spray mists. I think Carl is on to something. Three or four coats of light spary mists, getting heavier each time is the ticket.

2) Testors works great. Although when you are done you would have spent double the cash for the finish, it went on brilliant.

I just wonder if the Testors clear coat will behave the same.

Back