Question on Time Delay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Throttle Up

Reaction score
I have some G motors to launch some Aerotech rockets. However they have a 10 second delay and the book calls for a 7 second delay.

Will it hurt to use the 10-second delays?

Thanks.

The weight of your rocket and the altitude all play a factor. If your rocket is moving too fast when the chutte ejects you run the risk of a zipper or a broke shock cord, etc. Or, if your rocket is too close to the ground, it could hit the ground before the ejection. All bad results.

Mark's modified Big daddy (correct me if I'm wrong, Mark) had a 4 second delay on the E. It was perfect. I suggested he use up my E's with the 7 second delay and it was a good thing he said no. On the next 4 second flight I noticed that his Big Daddy would have hit the ground before ejection....

Why don't you tell us about the rocket: Who made it, what model, the weight, the center of gravity. There are plenty of people on this forum who would key in your information into RockSim and tell you what the perfect delay would be.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion only based on observations.

If the kits are Aerotech and you used CyA to glue them together, they probably will fall within the recommended range as Aerotech lists. You do NOT want to use a longer delay and it is my oppinion that a longer delay actually can cause more damage than a short one. This is due to the fact that the rocket is accelerating under gravity rather than being slowed by it, which produces more velocity and can, as mentioned previously, cause a zipper, or worse yet...a lawn dart/gopher hole.

Back