Major Fire at Aerotech!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to wish all the people at Aerotech my prayers and wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Here is the latest:

AeroTech Main Facility Burns Down
October 15, 2001
Web posted at: 10:11 PM EDT

(ROL Newswire) -- Today at a little past noon in Las Vegas a small explosion in the AeroTech facility caused the evacuation of AeroTech, Industrial Solid Propulsion and nearby business neighbors. Three employees were taken to nearby hospitals, two for severe burns and one for minor. Many employees were out of the building at the time for a lunch break. The fire was thought to be contained around 4:00 pm when employees were allowed to re-enter the building to retrieve personal items. However, around 4:30 the fire flared up again and the area was evacuated. The entire building caught fire and at about 6:30 an large fireball explosion could be seen which is assumed to be the bulk of AP at the facility. At 7:00 pm it became clear the entire facility has been destroyed. Note that AeroTech rocket kits are manufactured at a seperate location un-affected by the fire. Brent McNeely, owner of ROL and Extreme Rocketry, was at the scene during the afternoon and has been in constant contact with AeroTech. Mike Martens, marketing director of AeroTech will be making an official press release on Tuesday afternoon to be posted to ROL and distributed by ROL to the usual sources.

Source: ROL Newswire Service

I guess we will soon learn what this means to the Aerotech motor business. Aerotech motors is all that I used. I know a lot of people use their reloads.

Their research and leadership in this area is very important to the hobby. I hope their recovery is a speedy one.

FYI, I called Magnum this morning to put in an order. I had to redial 20 times to get through. Ross has had a flurry of orders, including several offers to buy his whole stock of 1000+ motors!
However, he is a great guy to deal with, and has established a fair method to limit bulk buys, and still give some preference to past customers.

This will have a big impact on the vendors we use, not only due to loss of motor sales but to the Kits and parts also. Many people won't build models if there are no motors available to fly them (some might build and wait).

On a good note (for the high power folks) CTI supposedly has motors in for testing that will be under the 62.5gm limit.

Well, I just went and spent (more) money I don't have. Visited my local hobby shop and stocked up on some AT reloads. The local shop only stocks 18mm, 24mm, and the 29/40-120 reloads. But I got some of each. Barely managed to resist stripping him of all of his stock. I did take probably a third of it. And that is really more money than I should have put on the charge card.

But, considering what has happened, I'm worried that those reloads may have to last a long time.....

Has anyone read anything about whether Rosenfield of Aerotech is planning on rebuilding the plant?

AeroTech's public statement implied that they will be trying to resume their motor making business. I fear there will be a lot of problems to overcome, from dealing with potential legal problems, lawsuits, insurance claims, rebuilding their facilities...the list is long.

I now have a good stash of motors, at least in the E - G range. Most of which were purchased before this problem. I'm probably set for a while. This latest problem will probably ensure that the G80 remains my favorite motor.

I recently bought a Micro Maxx starter set and have to admit that I've had fun building a few small rockets. Perfect timing!

they actually are building a plant in utah and will resume engine building around april

Yup, it looks like they will be up and running shortly and have announced their production schedule. That is good news because I will need some 38mm reloads shortly. :D

Back