Alternatives to Crapperheads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oliver Arend

Reaction score
Are there any alternatives to copperhead igniters that also work with small Aerotech motors? Maybe selfmade igniters?

Oliver

Ken Allen at Performance Hobbies sells an alternative ignitor. They are called "B&K" ignitors. You can contact Ken Allen through the Performance Hobbies website

https://www.performancehobbies.com/

I have used these ignitors for 18mm, 24mm, and 29mm Aerotech RMS reloads and single use engines with good results. They are a dual lead ignitor.

I can vouch for these ignitors. At a recent launch that Ken and I were at every single Copperhead I had failed. Ken was gracious enough to let me borrow a few of the B&K ignitors and they worked flawlessly.

I have bought igniters from Ken at Performance hobbies for some time. They seem to change from time to time but have always worked.

Aerotech is now selling FirstFire igniters (replaced the Crapperheads) which are available from several sources. I think Magnum has them, and Ken probably has them too. I've only used 4, on G-J motors, and they worked fine. I assume the 'Junior' size will also work fine. There have been threads on ROL and/or RMR on these.

There is also a new brand called QuickBurst. I got a demo sampler but with all the problems of the last months I haven't had a chance to use them on composite engines. They make an ematch for ejection/black powder motors and two sizes of igniters for composites. There is an EMRR review on their launch controller, which also discusses the igniters. Look for addional reviews as we testers get to use them. FYI, here is their address:
QuckBurst
59 Elm Ct.
Lake jaction, TX 77566
[email protected]
I suppose a web site is coming soon.

Finally, I highly recommend the Igniterman kit. I've made igniters for B - H motors with no problems so far. They are really easy to make without much practice. The only problem I've had is the pyrogen keeps drying out and I had to buy Acetone and MEK solvents to revive it.

Good luck!

Back