Association question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
I am wondering. Since you have to be over 18 to get certified, why would a person under 18 want to join an association like TRA or NAR?

This question is a good one but has the potential to get political very quickly. This is not a TRA vs. NAR discussion. Please try to stay away from those kinds of posts. Thanks...

The MAGAZINES, Man, the MAGAZINES!!!

On a more serious note, I would think that the NAR would be more geared toward the youth sector as it seems to have more to offer in the Model rocketry field. The TRA has always been more geared toward high power, although it does have many members that fly without certification. So, to eliminate the possibility of making this a political discussion, just do what I do...Join them both!!!;)

Carl

I am 13 and CTulanko is right all I wanted is the magazins.

Insurance is nice to have but what am I gunna do with it? Its will be good to have but I take safty sereiously and way more precations than needed so I wolnt use it any time soon I hope

Problem is it is not YOU you have to worry about. It is the other guy who is not so safe. Plus from what I've seen you can be a safe as you can but the rockets once they leave the pad are very unpredictable.

Yup your rite, all you can do is do everthing in your power to prevent it. I had one a whiel back go crazy for a church launch........... flew up lost a fin and just did sumersalts ending in a cruise missiel. I figuerd a plane aginst this though keep everbody 30ft away except me and dont have on lookers wit any thing above a C motor. That and I dont really have a full understanding of Insurance and that stuff.

From what I understand it is liability insurance in the event that you hurt somebody or you yourself get hurt on a sponsored launch. Your TRA or NAR insurance will cover the damages and medical bills.

I had a guy tell me about a guy at an RC Car event that got hit buy an RC car doing about 50MPH. It supposedly snapped his leg in two. Because it was a sponsored event everybody was covered.

Perhaps some of you vetarans have some other stories where the insurance paid off.

Yeah I wouldent minde hearind how exactly you use it.

Well for one, most public park areas won't let you fly at all with out insurance. I really don't belive anyone has ever claimed any insurance money. This is why rocketry has been name one of the safest hobbies, but most of the public don't know of this and think it's dangours, but if you tell them at you are part of the Nation Ass. of Rocketry and have a mill. in insurace for any accident's. They are put much more at easy.
NAR also offers many programs that non HPR members can participate in, but need to be a member of NAR. Like the Gold, Silver, and bronze meteals for building and flying diffrent models. They also have many contest that really takes thinking and get's you thinking on how to build a good say"streamer duration rocket"
well I hope this helps.. I defently incourage everyone to join the membership, it has many privalges.

Yup. Were I fly I am good friends wit the co owner and the other owner lives in ohio and from what I hear is part of the rocket club over there. To fly there I only have to make sure there arnt any soccer baseball or football games going on.This post really has no connection to any others but o well

Hey Klint,
Congratulations on hitting the Veteran Member status. 100 posts, woohoo! :)

Mark

Uh Thanks..?........So milo 264posts? what are you? old fart?:D

(no ofense intented millo)

Oh you so funny! I'm the administrator, it's not nice to fool with the administrator. ;)

[No offense taken] :D

When I was a kid (it doesn't feel that long ago) I joined because it put me in touch with other people who were into what I was into (rockets). And of course the magazine. Plus there was this blonde girl who would come to all the launches with her family...but that's another story.

Back