Kwik-Switch question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
I'm not sure which forum this belongs so we will start from here and see where it goes.

As some of you know, I just received the PML AMRAAM 4. I ordered it with the extended motor mounts and the Kwik-Switch. Last night I put the Kwik Switch system together and I noticed something. The 38mm and 29mm adaptors stick out of the 54mm mother tube by about 1/2" when inserted and screwed down. Is this normal? This makes motor retention difficult when using something like the AeroPack because the ring is but so long. But with 1/2" added, the retainer ring will not be able to reach the Aero Pack. So, I'm thinking about cutting the 38 and 29mm tubes down. Is this a good idea? Can anyone tell me a good way to cut these guys without making a mess?

Thanks

Phil,

You can shorten the length of each adapter tube so it is flush with the 54mm mother tube and it shouldn't effect the rockets safety or performance but will allow you to use the 54mm Aeropack Motor Retainer with the adapters. Just make sure the rear centering rings on each adapter are sitting deep enough inside the main tube when screwed in; they should sit about 1/2" or so inside the main tube. It will be fine.

Regarding cutting your tubes, there have been a few posts on cutting tubing, but the method I use with the best results is as follows. Insert the adapter tube in and tighten it down. Then, make a mark where it is flush with the 54mm tube. Remove the adapter, draw a pencil mark around the entire tube to make a cutting line; you can use a piece of paper wrapped around the tube with the ends square as a drawing guide. I use a dremel on low speed with an asbestos cutting wheel to cut just above the line and work it around the tube, grooving it with the first pass, then cutting through with subsequent passes. The wheel cuts without tearing the inside of the tube, which is why I like it. You can also use a Zona saw to score, then cut through the tube if a dremel is not available. Once cut, use a sanding block to sand the edges to the line you drew and you are done. Start with 100 grit and when close, smooth it more with 320 grit or higher. I also lightly round the outside edges of the adapter tube so there is less chance of cracking.

Cya,

Carl

Back