Building has arrived Early

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Austin

Since we have been temporarily shut down for High Power launches, now seems a good time to start some building. In order to help keep our vendors in business, of whom I am sure will be effected by the state of current affairs, I have converted some of my orders for "J" class reloads to kits instead and they should be on their way. A J275 is about an even swap for a PML Small Endeavour and I can't wait to get started.

On the board, I have a PML Amraam 2 replacement rocket ready for primer and a Thoy Nomad that need the tubes fiberglassed before priming (the fins are already glassed). I just finished priming a Estes Night Hawk...first Estes kit I have bought for myself in years, and have a PML Small Endeavour and Launch Pad Harpoon on their way. Also, some progress has been made on the 6" ARM AGM-78 but the L3 full scale Amraam project has been put on hold until the beginning of next year. Finally, I ordered a 2.1" Quantum tube and coupler to re-construct the old Amraam 2 as what I am now calling the "Raam", since it will not have the center fins and will be about 8" longer. The bottom of the old PML Amraam 2 was salvaged so my fin section/motor mount is prebuilt and primed.

So, what is everyone else working on???

It's a good time to keep up the momentum and stock up on some reloads, as I am sure many of us will be burning up our stockpiles fast to satisfy our hunger once the air is cleared.

Carl

I'm looking into RC planes! :eek:

Oh the shame!!!

{No comments PGerringer and MarkABrown... nobody needs to know I already lost my first trainer to the trees}

I'm real bummed about not being able to launch this weekend. But, as therapy, I spent some money. Here is what I bought:

PML Amraam 4 kit with lower tube pre-cut for CPR3000
EXTENDED Kwik Switch upgrade
60" parachute upgrade
and CPR3000 unit assembly

So, I guess that is what I will be doing for the next couple of months as far as HPR goes. And to launch stuff in the mean time, I bought an Estes Snitch and my son bought another Estes rocket and we will probably spend the time launching the smaller rockets.

Well the LMR/HPR hiatus didn't catch me with too much flying time left. Here in Ohio the weather gets "iffy" about the end of September so I had only one club launch and two regional meets scheduled for the remainder of 2001.

I took the money I'd put away for the three launches and bought a Loc "I-Roc", a THOY "Falcon", and my first altimeter. Both of the kits will be modified for dual deployment, of course. I don't think that I've ever built a completely stock kit since my Aston "Scout" back in 1964. Anyway I expect to be able to certify Level-II at the first local launch that the FAA will allow.

Ken Holloway, NAR #78336 ;)

I plan on working on my LOC/Precision Cyclotron and a Solar Warrior 3X. I was hoping to try for Level I this fall but I will have to wait and see. Depending on the length of winter I may build something for my Level II as well. It may be a pretty eventful spring!

The trees in my neighborhood in NE Ohio are starting to change. Winter is not too far off.

So, what is everyone else working on???

I am working on a 9 D cluster rocket built ford tuff. I do not think I will finish the rocket because of the centering ring trubles.

Ken,

Now remember some of us Northeastern Ohio boys season doesn't even start until October and runs through April, at least for our Tripoli Mid-Ohio club. Don't let the cold get ya down, I certed L1 in 24 degree temps during Mid February with 15 mph winds...so I know you all can tough it out!:)

Sounds like everyone so far has some great projects in the works!

Carl
Cincinnati, Ohio
B&R in Warren, Ohio

Ok, in construction are:

Aerotech Arreaux
Scratch 4" Phoenix
PML Mini BBX with Terrier Booster

But I'm in military service right now, so I only have some time on the weekends to spend with rockets, and during the winter I was planning on doing some electronics projects.

Interesting rocket projects to be started in the nearer future (along with a bunch of Estes kits) are:

Scratch Frog-3. This is a Russian rocket from the 60's that has two stages that do not separate and burn simultaneously. The original has a cluster of engines in both stages, I was planning on doing a main engine in the biz end plus four long-burn motors as a "second stage".

Scratch Saturn 1B. This one will have a central engine or a cluster of them and a circle of eight engines in the "outer body tubes" on the bottom.

I hope to get at least half of the stuff done for the next flying season. Arreaux, Phoenix and Saturn 1B have a good chance of making it, Mini BBX (to be modified for dual deployment) without booster too, perhaps.

Oliver

Well, unfortunately, we don't really have a "winter" in California (it is currently 98 outside) so we don't have those wonderful seasons like all you others. Here is what I have in the works:

Just finished a new launch controller. Nothing fancy but works off one 9v battery and easy lights the Aerotech igniters. Will even handle a cluster of 3 motors if the battery is fresh. Also has 35' leads and a dual-switch launch button + safety key and low current LED and resistor. I measured the current when you press the safety key at 3 milliamps. That won't light ANYthing!

Working on a new launch pad based on all you guys' designs- especially Carl's beautifully-painted PVC pad.

On the rocket front- Just finishing an Aerotech Tomahawk and an Estes Mercury Atlas. Thinking about scratch-building an upscale Bullpup 12B but found out that Launch Pad makes a nice D through G powered upscale. Probably will get that (it's only $20).

Other than that, I'm flying lots of B6-4 and C6-5 Estes and Quest stuff. And you know, there's something to be said about those...nice, inexpensive fun with all the thrills of the bigger birds and not all the worries.

Marc

I odnt get a winter ether I get maby 80 for a low althogh its 101 out right now.

YA HOOO! Now that waivers are being activated looks like we get at least (hopefully) one more month of launches in NE Ohio. Some of the projects are going to hit the shelf. I am 3/4 done with the Cyclotron kit. Hopefully, I can will be able to try for cert 1 before Halloween. But I do not want to rush it since I am still waiting for some materials to finish it.

Back