Construction tips

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgabb

Reaction score
I am looking for a good set of plans on how to build an altimeter bay for a 7.5 inch airframe. I am scratch building a CPR capable rocket for level 2 certification. Also I have been looking for a good description of how a deployment bag works, Rocketry online's description left me with more questions.
Thanks

I have recently completed a "Deployment Unit" I designed and built for my Level 3 project, which will be a full scale Amraam using 7 1/2" body tube, and it was examined and approved by one of my TAP members. The unit includes a single cartridge system which will hold dual altimeters and a Safe Eject EXP at each end capable of using dual matches and holding up to 20 grams of black powder. Easy removal handles along with all stainless hardware insure it will be easy to use and strong. It also includes stainless U-bolts for 2" shock cord mounting at each end and was designed to "wedge" the center fins of the Amraam in between the front and rear centering rings.

I can give you my drawings and grant you access to my FTP server for hunderds of step-by-step assembly pictures if you are interested. I really documented it well. Attached below are two pics, one shows the unit assembled with a top "tray" installed to protect the Safe Eject and act as a tray for the parachute and shock cord. the other shows the unit disassembled and the altimeters mount on the 1/8" thick piece of green G10 fiberglass board running down the middle of the cartridge.

Carl

<a href="reviews/files/deploy1.jpg">Level 3 Deployment Unit Assembled<br></a>

<a href="reviews/files/deploy2.jpg">Level 3 Deployment Unit with Internal Cartridge Removed<br></a>

all I can say is wow .... that is some piece of hardware you got there...

Well if you looking for something that is a little less elaburate and much much lighter... I'v got a set up that I've used in three rockets, that is modual. I use the PML CPR forward and aft mounts and ejection cans. It all fit's into a 38mm motor tube.. and cost less then $30.00 for the inital set up and then about $5.00 for each rocket after that to install.

Let me know if you'd like more detail...

There's lots of information on INFOcentral (part of Rocketry Online). Check out Dean Roth's article on "Two Stage Recovery Design" for starters:
INFOcentral construction area

I have "standardized" on a simple removable bay setup for dual deployment rockets. Check out the pictures of the bay for my ARLISS rocket for an example:
ARLISS electronics bay
This bay differers from my usual ones in that it doesn't have integral ends (forward and aft) because we use removable bulkheads anyway. Most of my bays are more self-contained as you can see in the picture on my Magnum page (scroll down a few pages to see a picture of the prepped bay):
Magnum page

Resurrection. With great power comes great responsibility. 😉
Where you at mrgabb ?

Back