Flying fields- sometimes asking works!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marclee

Reaction score
An interesting thing happened to me yesterday:

In the area where I live, rocket-flying fields are basically nonexistent. Lucerne Dry Lake (a popular launch site where the ROC launches are held) is 2 hours away. There is nothing else that's legal, and getting chased by police helicopters can get old.

Our local athletic/park field is privately owned by our association (do you guys have those in the midwest?) and EVERYTHING is illegal there. It's even posted in 6-inch letters, "NO MODEL AIRPLANES/ROCKETS/ETC."

I decided to try something. I approached the full-time security guard (no I'm not kidding- we have one of those) with my box of rockets. I sat down as he was writing "reports" (of what I don't know- gophers? dry grass? kids peeing in the pool?).

I said, "I would like to ask your permission to use this field to launch these model rockets. I know it's probably not allowed, but my kids are with me and I would just like to shoot a couple off. Nothing huge, just some afternoon family fun. What would you say to that?"

He looked at me, then the rockets, then me again and paused for about 10 seconds ( a long time). My wife was in the car with her eyes hidden so as not to laugh to hard at my nerdiness...

He then said, (and I quote), "Sure, but only if I can watch you do it. It would be the most fun I've had in weeks..." !!!!???

After I closed my gaping mouth (and trying hard to resist the temptation of bowing down and exclaiming, "I Love You."), I parked the car and started to set the pad and rockets up. We had a glorious afternoon launching c-motor rockets with no CATO's or mishaps.

My point is that sometimes, even if it's "illegal" or "prohibited" or whatever, sometimes...just asking will get us what we want. It turned out that about 20 onlookers came, sat down on the grass and watched as I launched everything from an Estes Redstone to a scratch-built. The ooo's and aaaa's were great. The upside is that he said he'd be happy to allow me permission any afternoon he works the park.

The point is sometimes it IS easier to ask for permission. And not everybody is against rockets. Here was a seemingly impossible request and he said YES and I gained a new place to launch! Just thought I'd share that with you all...My wife still can't believe it.

Marc

You are my hero !!! You had the guts to ask "the Man" to do something posted as forbidden. And you won !!! And, as you stated, everybody really won, and had a great afternoon.

Wish I could have seen your wife's face....

I don't know about everybody else, but with all the talk of cancelled waivers, I really needed this right now. Thanks.

good job Marc... Got any pic's of the launch? My brother-in-law "Mike" and I had our own launch here in the mid-west. Here is a photo of my Scratch built UFO rocket called Lamp Shade. on a G55w boost at dusk on Sat.

Originally posted by Electrode
good job Marc... Got any pic's of the launch? My brother-in-law "Mike" and I had our own launch here in the mid-west. Here is a photo of my Scratch built UFO rocket called Lamp Shade. on a G55w boost at dusk on Sat.
Now, that is a COOL picture! Thanks!

ohhh and ahhh's.... for shure.... I enjoy tak'n pic's and here is one of my 6lbs 3"x52.25" HeatSeeker on a H210R at dusk...
I love tak'n pic's.....

I agree, sometimes you just gotta ask....

I am 3 for 3 so far.

My first field, I saw the Farmer out haying and stopped and asked him. No problem. Flew several times until the police came due to a neighbor complaint of noise and flight patterns (which were not justified). I tried talking to the complaining neighbor only to be reminded the he was a hunter and had the right equipment if you get my drift.

My second score is a small field (500 foot altitude). Same way though, I asked the farmer and he okayed me.

The third field is 95 acres. I promised the farmer it would only be me and that I would call before I go. They have been great considering one rocket got stuck in one of their trees. I'm working on (well, for next year now) getting waivers to fly on this field at some point.

+ Be nice.
+ Keep it low key.
+ Bring a rocket or two to show them.
+ Adhere to the rules, NAR's and the Farmers, whatever they are.
+ Give them something when flying season is over, a thank you card with a $20 gift certificate, whatever, but be thankful.

- Nick

Great advice on the "thank you" gift. And on the "rules" of asking permission. I've found that in California at least, people are very curious to watch and see what it's all about. I think what gets them to say "yes" is when you SHOW them the rocket itself. Maybe it's that instant of reliving one's youth or the curiosity of seeing an actual rocket fly. They always ask lots of questions. It's a great opportunity for us to bring rocketry, as a hobby- more to the mainstream so people aren't so afraid.

In light of the horrific recent events, I think we're all in for tougher rules with regard to flying rockets. To even write that sentence seems frivolous right now as thousands lie beneath the rubble in New Yor. Our rocket concerns seem petty and pathetically non-important.

But, without digressing into another subject altogether, the point is that there ARE places to fly that we haven't thought of. Unfortunately for you HPR guys, it's a bit tougher. I love Nick's rule about "Keeping it low-key." Perfect. It's completely true. You start pulling out 6-foot rockets and everybody gets nervous. Unfortunate but true.

Anyway, thanks for the added advice.

Oh and Tim, those pics are GORGEOUS! The twilight flights really add a nice photographic "touch." Thanks for those.

Marc

I think the guidelines and advice that have been posted are good. In the past, I have had great success 'asking for permission' to fly modrocs, but have had little luck as of late.

Having said that, there are a few points I would make. First, although it is good to get the permission of the person who is most likely to chase you off, this is not a guarantee that things are or will remain OK. Sometimes this person does not have the authority to oficially make the offer. Getting permission from a landowner or municipality is of course best. Also, sometimes local laws/ordiances ban such activities, and the appoval of an individual doesn't count. Second, it is sometimes a third party who ends up messing things up. You need to be aware of the 'neighbors'. I fly at a site where there is a permit to use county grounds (for the NAR club only), and I bet one formal complaint by the surrounding neighborhood would be all it would take to get that retracted.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I am happy to hear others have had good luck - happy flying to all!

--Dick

Good point, Dick. I have found that if the police or fire department gets involved at any level (even if you ask permission), they will promptly shut down any rocketry activity- especially if it's private (just a couple of guys launching, not a club). And ANY neighbor complaint is a definite shutdown.

Also, facility owners rarely (if EVER) give permission. As soon as you say "launch" or "rocket" the answer is a quick NO. By asking the person "in charge" at the location, I was merely adding a small amount of credibility to my intended activities. You are right that the president of our homeowner's association would have promptly stopped my launches.

These facts are true in the urban area where I live. Perhaps not in the more rural areas where farmers fields seem to yield better results with getting permission.

Marc

Back