We have a "Dude" sighting at Walmart.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
I was cruising through the rocket section of Walmart on my way to the automotive section to buy a Rear View Mirror kit. Anyway, there is apparently a new (or re-released) rocket from Estes called "The Dude". Very interesting concept. Anyone have a history with one of these? I almost bought one at $20 but didn't have the cash with me. I think I may this weekend. For those of you not familiar with "The Dude", check it: Its an inflatable rocket! It fires on a D12-3 and is a freaking balloon. It looks cool too, nice and shiney 88" tall and 5 3/4" diameter. Should be the talk of the next RocketryForum launch.

https://www.estesrockets.com/cfusion/search_details.cfm?id=2199&co=Estes

Yep. I saw it at Walmart last night. It again caused me to laugh :D . It's like an Ed Wood movie sooo bad its good. I almost bought one as well but I also noticed that my Walmart was starting to carry "D" motors. I hope Walmart starts carrying real kits and the new "E" motors

I bought one this weekend. I was amused that on the side of the box, it reads:

<i>"Launches just like an Estes Rocket."</i>

<b>LIKE</b> an Estes Rocket???

Someone on RMR said, no it's not a rocket, it's a rocket-powered balloon-type thingy!

There has been an lengthy dissconsion on rmr about the dude. I am trying to earn some mony and get one. When and if I ever get one and it wears out I want to fill it with hydrogen and lunch it but I think i need a littel longer launch controller wier :D .

I built a Dude out on the field today. It went together in about 45 minutes (giving the plastic cement a little time to harden), instructions were easy to follow. I gotta admit, this is a neat little engineering project for whoever thought of this at Estes.

Blowing up the body did not take as long as I thought, but deflating it after launch required a herculean effort. Even then I could only get about half the air out. The valve is some sort of flat rubberized nylon deal that uses the existing pressure in the rocket to keep the valve closed. To deflate you must use the straw that you used to inflate it, to hold the valve open. Easier said than done, since what happens is that the internal pressure is strong enough to squeeze the straw shut too! There is some minor deflation going on all the time, so keep that straw handy and be prepared to give it a little more air just before launch.

Now, as to how it flies....

the fins are not the flattest things ever produced, and the alignment of the body balloon in the lower cage might be a bit off, but it flies pretty well.

Both flights today were on D12-3

first flight went from a standard high power pad, since the included pad (a stake in the ground) does not grip the launch rod well. Unfortunately, the rocket binded slighly on the launch rod and it took off at a 45 degree angle and never got much height... maybe 75'. not to worry though, ejection occured in plenty of time and the rocket glided back in backwards, dragging the poor little 12" parachute behind.

Second flight was from the included pad (i taped the rod into the spike) and was excellent, attaining close to the advertised 300', and again, the 12" chute merely slowed down the fins-first glide of the rocket.

All in all, a nice big novelty rocket. be prepared for lots of Freudian comments.

Is the parachute those little wimpy things that come with the rest of their rockets?

Back