Launch Rods

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsilo

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience or preference of steel launch rods versus aluminum?

I have used steel to date and am building Level 1 cert rockets and want to try to avoid a launch rail investment just yet. I was wondering if the stiffer aluminum would be less susceptible to bending and whipping? Trying to stick with the ole 1/4" rod for L1.

Also, is there such a thing as an 8 foot, 2 piece rail?

Dave

8'? Wow, how big is your level 1 rocket? I like the weld steel cause they don't bend as easily. I've been using the 3' ones but this weekend I will be moving up to a 6' one as I launch an Aerotech Mirage. Well, I guess I should explain bending. Like you said it does whip a bit but I have found that if the stiffer aluminum gets bent, it is over. Am I rambling?

don't go over 1/8" with a alum. rod.. it will have way too much rod wip and then it will stay like that.. bends very easy and dosn't return.. Red Arrow Hobbies has stainless rods that brake in to.. with a threaded joint.. you might want to look into that.. I dont' know if they are 6' or 8' though. I'd say unless your dead set on the motor you are using.. I'd pic a little bigger motor and go with a 6' rod. You need at least a good 40 ft./s end of rod speed. Hope this helps.

Has any body every tride tungston for a L rod matereial? I have used an 6 foot solid peice of steel for all of my mid power launches

Back