Yikes!!! My Mirage may not fly!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil -
We kind of talked about this at the field, but I think it bears repeating. Before you go to Whitakers, I think you need to strengthen those fins. Carl and I discussed this last night. Here's what we suggest:

- sand all the paint off of the fins, and off of the filets, and off of the body tube between the fins. If you have an electric sander, here is where it will pay for itself.

- get some fiberglass cloth

- remember to use the cloth with the cloth grain 45 degrees off from the line of the base of the fins for maximum strength

- get some 15 minute epoxy (you can try 5 minute if you want to, but ya better be good and fast if you do)

- support the rocket so that the fins are in an "x" pattern, not a "+" pattern

- cut a piece of cloth that will hang off the fins about an inch, and is big enough to go from one fin all the way across the filet-body-tube-filet and up the other fin

- epoxy that in place, let it dry

- rotate the rocket, do the next one, continue on until all are done

- trim the cloth even with the edges of the fins......sand

- sand some more

- prime....sand...prime... sand...paint...paint...you know the drill

Then you'll be ready for Whitakers and L1

Yeah, I think I'm with you. The wings seem to be a bit too flimsy even for the G. I will try and let you guys know what happens.

You know I was just look'n at the pic of you Mustange II play'n monkey a bit..... and it looks like the air frame is opened up right above the motor tube.. and it show's no evednce of an ejection charge going off???
Have you determined what went wrong yet? Just curious.... It sure does look like it was a very nice job though.. The paint looks great. I hope you got a pic of it before launch.

Back