Upscaling old Estes/Centuri kits to mid-power

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
As I believe I may have mentioned previously, my brother in law recently turned an L.O.C./Precision Lil' Nuke into a Big Red Max which he flew at NARAM 43. Has anyone else had the occasion to try an upgrade of an old kit on this scale? If so, I'd be interested in hearing of any problems or concerns you had. I've got an oldie on the planning board for my winter project.

it's not an oldie.. but I did a 2.85x upsale of the Estes AGM 57-x HeatSeeker... Only problem's I ran into was volume space.. as I wanted dual deployment.... and I didn't want to.. and didn't devate from the scale data... Where there is a will there is a way... :)

That is quite an incredible job you did. And on a J engine, how high did it go?

The Transolve P6 Alt. reported 3,500 ft.... And thanks for the comments... :)

Yeah Bill,

When the cold winter sets I plan to build an upscale Solar Warrior 3x. Using a LOC/Precision Lil' Nuke as a starting point. I will need to buy extra tubing etc. I figure the length of the rocket will be slightly of 40" and wing span will be around 12". Should be pretty cool.

Attached a picture of my Der Big Red Max I built from the Lil' Nuke kit. I submitted a review to EMRR.

Attached a picture of my Der Big Red Max I built from the Lil' Nuke kit. I submitted a review to EMRR.

Where? I didn't see it?

- Nick:confused:

right at the bottom of the message... it's got a little icon in front of the link.. .I see it and view the pic. just fine

Wow, what a coincidence. My brother in law built one just like that one. Even more strange, his name is Tony also. And what's the chance of this picture being taken in his house. Small world.

What took you so long, T?:p

What took me so long? You know -- SSDD.

I have the LOC/Precision Cyclotron kit I bought back at the end of August and have only openned the package. Oh well-it's all about balance in life activities.

:)

Hey T,
Check out the time on your above post and think of how much the world has changed since then. Creepers.

Did not really notice. That seems like months ago. That day along felt like it took forever.

Back