Quest engines smokier (cooler) than Estes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marclee

Reaction score
I'm sure my "new" discovery is old news for everyone, but have you guys (and gals) noticed that the Quest engines give a wayyyyy smokier performance than the Estes of the same rating? Yeah, looks much cooler for the uninitiated on-lookers. So I've been buying the Quest motors and have been very happy with the increased ability to track the rockets as well. Lots of smoke from the get-go. Just a thought.

PS- Anybody know of a Quest "D"- engine?

Marc

Quest motors are produced in Germany, and for some reason the black powder formulation for the engines seems to be dirtier than the Estes one, so it has more smoke - but it also increases the amount of residue left in the body tube by the ejection charge.

Oliver

I have never seen quest motors fly cause nobody sails them round here all I can get with out mail ordering is Cobra brand.

Howdy,
Thought I'd chime in here on behalf of Quest motors.

Klint mentioned Cobra brand which are of course Estes brand. That's a trade name they used for awhile, but I don't know if they still do. Marclee asked about Quest D motors. Quest at this point does not make a D size engine, but as I understand it, they may be in the process of developing one.

My favorite Quest motor is the A6-4. I use them instead of Estes A8-3s nearly all the time. They have a dead accurate 4 second delay, unlike the Estes motors which tend to be somewhat short. They can be ordered from Quest directly in 24 motor bulk packs--sorry, I don't have the number handy.

I also like the Quest Tiger Tail ignitors. They're a miniature version of Aerotech Copperheads and if you ever ignite one outside of a motor to see how it burns, you will be impressed. Unlike the fizz of an Estes ignitor, the Tiger Tail will burst in an almost bluish plasma ball. Very energetic ignition.

Overall, I like the Quest products very much. They are good motors and interesting kits. I'm all for supporting different manufacturers since the more variety we can encourage to develop, the better for all rocket hobbyists in the long run. The problem always comes down to availability and that's where the Internet has really thrown the doors open in this hobby. If you can't find Quest motors locally, order them instead on Hobbylinc (www.hobbylinc.com) or at Discount Rocketry (www.discountrocketry.com).

Yep, Este is still using cobra or at least down here thats all they have. I wil need to try those quest they sound A lot better then estes.

Quest motors are typically cheaper per 3-pack too. Check out RocketSilo or DiscountRocketry to order them.

Here's another hint, too. Go to KB Toys and buy the old Quest kits. You can usely get them for $7.99 when on sale (otherwise $12.99). These kits include (3) motors (a $5.00 value), a controller and pad and a rocket for the remaining $3.00. The controller uses a 9V battery which to me has been a plus if for nothing else, ease of use.

Enjoy,
Nick

I've never even seen a Quest motor. (Kind of like Centuri back in the late '70's. Heard of 'em, never seen evidence of 'em.):(

That's too bad. I guess they haven't made it to your neck of the woods yet. Quest is based in Arizona. Their motors are interchangable with all the Estes motors (except the "D" sizes). They have their own variations on each motor, but offer the same (or in mnay cases, better) performance. You can get Quest B6-4's, C6-5's...all the usual. I mail order mine through hobbylinc (www.hobbylinc.com). I know several other places have them. I definitely like them better for all the above mentioned reasons. I also found the delay times to be dead on.

Marc

Speaking of Quest engines, there are several types of production around. Some were made in the US, especially older ones. Quest recently bought some old stock from MRC and relabled them. They were produced in Germany in the Mid-90´s from Moog-Nico, a German fireworks company. MRC sold rocketry products in the 90´s. So, if you´re currently buying Quest engines, chances are that they are made by Moog.

In the near future, Quest engines may came from Germany again. Moog-Nico does no longer produce engines, but another German fireworks company, Sachsen Feuerwerk, may produce for Quest again as soon as some details are fixed.

Moog and Sachsen Feuerwerk engines are fine, but the quality of Estes engines, in general, are better.

Happy flying,

Oliver

Oliver-

Yes, I must agree. Now that I have flown many of the Quest engines, I do note inconsistencies in their overall performance. I find the delay's are right on but the thrust does seem to vary. And the motor size is substantially smaller in diameter than the Estes (especially the "C" casings). I have also noticed the Quest engines smell more like fireworks...I know that sounds funny but they smoke more and smell much stronger. Much more like fireworks than the Estes motors. I guess each has its merits. Thanks for the info...I do suggest everybody try them and we can compare notes.

M

Back