To sand, or not to sand, that is the question.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To which tube would you attach the coupler? (see picture)

• The upper (longer) tube.

• The lower (shorter) tube.

• Burma!

• The upper (longer) tube.

• The lower (shorter) tube.

• Burma!

Results are only viewable after voting.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
I poured all the fillets on the fins of the Mirage last night. They turned out (what I think is) almost perfect. A little sanding the rough edges and I will be OK. I do plan on shaping them a bit but, they are so perfectly round and cool as they are. I'm thinking that I may not want to blend them into the fin. What do you think? Should I blend them or leave them as a bead?

I don't have a real good pic of them yet but here is what I got:
https://www.cybergatetech.com/Projects/Rocketry/Pictures/Mirage/img_0758.jpg

Your fillets look great!

It is up to you whether or not to blend them into the fins, strictly your call. I would sand the leading and trailing edges since the masking tape does leave somewhat of a sharp ridge. try to very slightly round them as primer and paint will stick better to a rounded edge rather than a sharp one. A few swipes of 220 grit is all it takes to get the edge off.

I do recommend you lightly sand the surface of the fillets so your primer will adhere. They are probably glass smooth right now and do need roughed up a bit. Again, 220 grit will work well in this area.

Once again, nice job; they came out well!

Carl

Thanks, I will follow your instructions to a T. After all, you are Dr. Glass. :)

Personally I would personally feather them in... just my opion.. The pic looks great.. can't wait to see the whole thing.

Yeah Phil.... you big tease. Let's see the whole thing.

Back