reuseable ignitors!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Don

Reaction score
Hey There Rocket Fans!
Now this may not be news to all you expert rocketeers, but
yesterday, Doug & I were launching an Estes Invader in the driveway up through the only small opening in the branches of the 90'+ oak trees. We were using A12-3 engines. I noticed
although the black ignitor stuff had burned off, the tiny fillament of wire that glows red was still intact! We only had 5 engines
but the ignitor worked on all 5 and is still intact! I was preparing to take a picture of the 5th launch, but Doug pressed the button before I could get the camera focused! I am curious to find out how many times an ignitor can be used on A engines before it
finally breaks!
That Little Triangular puppy has so much drag on lift-off that
you get a lot of smoke and close to a 100 foot flight! The tricky
part is to keep a "heads up" attitude for the ejection! That little
sucker shoots out like a bullet after apogee and you never Know whicw way its gonna go! And the rocket is re-boosted in what ever direction it happens to be pointed at the time! This makes
it really tricky to try to catch it before it bounces off the driveway!
Doug (he's 13) has to be continuously reminded that there are NAR rules to abide by and "NO!" we're not doing things like shooting the rocket at the neighbors house! Dr. Don

I owulfd think it all depends on the voltage and amps of your controller. I tryed the estes ignitors on a 6v and who knows how many amps (i am gussing not evean 1) and the same thing happend. I used my 12v 14.4 controller and a new estes irnitor and the thing blew apart.

Back