Altimeter Power Switches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Austin

I have a few questions on this subject. Note that I have always "jumpered" my altimeters to ON when it was time to activate them, as I feel this is the best method and eliminates failure areas. (Note that all my altimeters use G-switch arming, so jumpering is safe) Also, please note that I actually do have switches on hand, everything from slide (not to keen on using these) to rotary switches, but have never used them. I have this inherant fear of the contacts corroding or going bad or being effected by G forces, etc... , even though I am aware of correct installation procedures for them.

My question is, what is everyone using for Altimeter power switches???

Have you had any reliability problems?

Where can they be purchased?

My questions come as a result of controlled altimeter power engagement requirements for my L3 project. I do plan on using redundant altimeters and possibly redundant switches, just to make me feel better about them.

Everyone's comments are welcome.
Thanks,

Carl

I too have only jumpered my alt.'s in the past, mainly because I don't like the thought of a door or a switch on my air fraim.. Really after all that hard work mak'n it smooth and air-o-dynamic.. I'm gonna put a switch hang'n on the out side.. Another reson I haven't tryed the shear pins as well.
Although my latest creation I am building with a switch.. It will be a DC power supply plug. When the recptical is out of the rocket the connectors are open. When the receptical is pluged in it is open. Kinda like a headphone jack, but the switch it self seems to be much better then relying on the fact that the connector inside are just sprun into each other. I got it from Rat-Shak.. and later I will post the part numbers as I don't have it in the house right now, it's still in the car.
This new rocket that I am working on is a 4" V-2 Blossom #47. It should fly this comming Sunday if all goes well.:D

Originally posted by Electrode
I too have only jumpered my alt.'s in the past, mainly because I don't like the thought of a door or a switch on my air fraim.. Really after all that hard work mak'n it smooth and air-o-dynamic.. I'm gonna put a switch hang'n on the out side.. Another reson I haven't tryed the shear pins as well.

Well, the switch doesn't have to protrude. I generally recess mine so that you move the slide switch using a pointed tool. I tend to use slide-in electronics bays as well so the switches have to be recessed.

Shear pins shouldn't stick out. I use 1/16" styrene rod and clip off the excess at the outside of the rocket. If you're doing dual deployment, shear pins are pretty much required.

do you have anypic's of your method on your web site? I couldn't fine one. my alt. bay is a 38mm tube with a center ring onthe end. It is home to a X-Solve P6 that is mounted to a forward and aft CPR3000 mounts and ejection can's. I have this assembly off set so it is up aginst the outside edge of the airframe and a vent hole can be drilled though from the out side.

try adding you full web address to your signiture and it should be come a clickable link... right now it is not.:confused:

Originally posted by Electrode
do you have anypic's of your method on your web site? I couldn't fine one.

I don't think I have a good picture. On my Magnum push on/push off switches and you can sort of see it in the picture below. Note that the bay is wired for dual deployment and ready to slide into the rocket. (I tried the push button switches on this bay, but I prefer slide switches mounted along the edges of the bay.)

magnumelectronics.jpg

Back