More painting questions....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGerringer

Ruler of Heck
Reaction score
I'm planning the painting of the Aerotech Mirage that I just recently received. It comes with 3 24" tubes and I'm trying to decide. Should I paint them individually and then assemble them? Or should I assemble the rocket and then paint them? I know from experience it is tough (for me) to get a good glossy shine on a rocket bigger than 24". I could never get the Mean Machine perfect and since the Mirage costs so much more, I was hoping to at least get the finish right. So what do ya think? Paint in pieces or together?

Also, Carl has me set with the nose cone. I now know the best way of painting it. Wash with vinegar, sand, 3-5 coats of primer, sand, and color coat. Is this the same method used in painting the body tubes (without the vinegar of course)?

I would think you would want to put it together so you can fill in the joints of the body tubes and get them smooth and seamless. Then paint the entire thing as one unit. Never having built one that long this just seems like the thing to do.

That is what I usually do, but this time I am trying to get it right. In the Mirage picture on the box, the breaks in the tubes are very noticable. Meaning they weren't filled...

Back