Anybody in California???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marclee

Reaction score
Hey, I'm jealous of all you guys living so close to each other. Am I the only one out here on the left coast? I say the word "rockets" around here and everyone looks at me like I'm from another planet. Are there any of you guys out here in Southern california that wanna shoot a couple off and get the police helicopters to swing by?

I recently went to LDRS just to drool and it was a hoot and a half. But most of those folks were from out of town. If any of you guys are around, drop me a line with your 411 and I'll give you a holler and we can talk shop.

Plus my Mercury Atlas is almost done and I hate to shoot it off by myself...Thanks!

Marc

Forum Hint:

Use the Advanced Search feature of the members page to search for members using your given criteria.

marclee, I'm pretty sure I saw some SoCal people join today.

Hay Marc,
How about some pic's from LDRS??? or that Mercury Atlas... I'm thinking of going to LDRS next year. Of course I'd have to make it a vaction as it will be an 18 hr. drive.
If your ever in the mid=west... I'm about 45min. outside Chicago, Ill. drop me a line I'd be happy to have ya over to put a few up in the air.

Well thanks, Tim. Nice of you to offer. When my tour swings through IL, I will definitely look you up. Would love to fire off a few.

As soon as the Atlas is done I will post some pics. Just a few more days. Still waiting on the replacement parts from Estes that were missing from the box.

As far as LDRS goes, this one will crack you up. For anybody who was there, you'll recall this vividly: The winds kicked up on Lucerne Dry Lake at about 2pm on Saturday. I'm not just talkin' wind here. It was blowing this thick red-brown dust EVERYWHERE with these body-moving gusts of wind. All the vendors scrambled to get their stuff put away, launches were cancelled and everybody was covered in red dry-lake dust from head to toe. You couldn't even breathe. Everybody's rockets were covered with dust, the vendor's products, the snow cones, the drinks, food, everything. It was almost too funny for words- pretty awful at the time. Anyway, that was Saturday.

So needless to say, I didn't get any good shots. I was too busy dodging the 50 mph gusts of blowing dirt. My camera looks like it was put in a bag with dust and tumbled for an hour. I had missed the morning launches. I have since been told that the trick with Lucerne dry lake is to get there and start launching at 6 or 7 am. It's out in the middle of nowhere which makes that tough. but I can see why!

So that's my long story of no pictures at LDRS this year. Haha.

Marc

Originally posted by marclee
Am I the only one out here on the left coast? I say the word "rockets" around here and everyone looks at me like I'm from another planet. Are there any of you guys out here in Southern california that wanna shoot a couple off and get the police helicopters to swing by?

You gotta check out ROC, the Rocketry Organization of California. They were the ones who hosted LDRS (with LTR) and hold monthly launches at Lucerne Dry Lake. They're a great bunch of guys and I get down to their launches when I can. (I'm in the San Francisco area.)

Rocketry Organization of California

Will do! Thanks John.

PS- I'll be in your neck of the woods tomorrow. Don't know if you read but I'm a singer and musician. I'm on tour with a country artist named Dwight Yoakam. I'll be at the Fillmore in San Francisco tomorrow night (Thurs) Aug 23rd at 8pm. If I see any rockets flying around the Golden Gate, I'll know it's you.

Marc:)

hey listen, I just thought of this; if you're in San Francisco, I'd be happy to get a fellow rocketeer into the show. If you're interested, I could put you on our VIP guest list for the Fillmore show...It's the Fillmore on Geary Street. The show is 8pm I believe. I'll be flying in tomorrow morning.

If you're interested (I could get 2 of you in), just drop me an email at [email protected]. I'd have to know by tonight at 5:30 though.

Marc

Marc

Originally posted by marclee
hey listen, I just thought of this; if you're in San Francisco, I'd be happy to get a fellow rocketeer into the show. If you're interested, I could put you on our VIP guest list for the Fillmore show...It's the Fillmore on Geary Street. The show is 8pm I believe. I'll be flying in tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately (or fortunately I guess) I will be up at Black Rock for the AERO-PAC Aeronaut launch this weekend (leaving tonight). AERO-PAC is another club you might consider joining. We're in N. California, but we launch at the best place in the world for rockets.

AERO-PAC

You lucky dog!!! I just checked your site out. You're right- it IS the best place in the world to launch rockets. Wow...

Marc

Back