HELP needed:Aerotech Initiator Problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Austin

I am working with a younger teenager who is in the process of building an Aerotech Initiator rocket for a school project. He has done very well so far but we have run into a snag, and it's a BIG ONE!

Since I cannot see and only communicate via AOL Instant Messenger, it was something we could not avoid. He has assembled his motor mount and placed it inside the body tube.

He then messaged me asking if the fins were supposed to snap in or fit loose. I was a bit confused at first, then realized what happened.

He described the Fin-Loks he assembled for the kit and they are for a 4-fin model !!!!! I was wondering why he mentioned they didnt line up below the body tube slots.

He , I am sure, is quite distrought right now and I am looking for suggestions on what can be done to help him, as he may be on a time line here. It's a simple mistake in the parts shipping, but appears to be devistating to him. The assembly has already been epoxied together, so I am not sure what he can do.

Any suggestions???

and...am I correct in assuming there is a different Fin-Lok for a 3-fin Aerotech model?

Thanks in Advance,

Carl

Yeah, there are 3 fin models and 4 fin models. It is possible that the wrong fin locks model was sent. Or, he may not have lined up the fin locks with the slots before he epoxied. That is important, if the fin locks are out of line, then he is in trouble. If the fin locks are the wrong fin lock for the rocket, then I suggest he contact Aerotech customer service immediately. I had great success with them and I think they can help. (have him say The Rocketry Forum sent him) How much time does he have to do this?

If the fin locks are out of line, he may be able to poor epoxy into the slots and insert the fins that way. I would have to look at my kit to see if he can do it that way.

Take a look at https://www.cybergatetech.com/Projects/Rocketry/Pictures/Mustang/assembly03.jpg to see what the fin lock system looks like. After you put the black locks on, then you slide black rings on the outer side of the locks. If he did it by the instructions, he has put in the front ring and not the rear. That should form, when the fins are inserted, a kind of cup. Then he should be able to pour the epoxy in. Course he would have to support the fins somehow.

Let us know how that goes.

First there are de-bonding products out there. I don't know of any right off the bat but I know they are out there because that is what they use when you glue your fingers together. :)

The Aerotech Fin-Lok system is great when it is packaged properly. Attaching and aligning fins is very easy with this system.

I've attached a pdf of the Initiator instructions so you can see how the Fin-Lok system is built.

I had to zip it up so I could attach it.

Thanks for the input guys and Milo, thanks for the manual. I have been helping him working off my Aerotech Mustang manual so the real one will work better; now I can reference page and step.

He has been doing most of the work fine and has asked a few questions along the way, which is good; that's why we are here! In addition, he has a SU Aerotech motor for his first launch and has designed a simple but effective 12V launch system. Hats off to him for his ingenuity. I really think he received the wrong Fin Loks in the kit and will verify it tonite.

It's going to be difficult to debond the assembly since he opted to use Epoxy instead of CyA for assembly due to the fact that there were no hobby shops where he lives. The shopping list for replacement parts would include a new motor tube, fin-loks, fiber centering rings, Thrust ring and flange and a new body tube. Pretty much the whole rocket...

Also, I do not think the epoxy in the tubal area would be very good. It would hold but add a TON of weight in the rear and possibly make the rocket unstable. I think we may have to go the Aerotech Support route, but he also may not be very good at writing to them, so I can help there. Anyone have a contact at Aerotech we can talk to?

Thanks guys,

Carl

I worked with Jason <insert long last name here>. He was very helpful...

Phone: 1-702-641-2301
EMail: [email protected]

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. Encourage him to do pictures.

i have talked to the same guy, i told him as long as he could get the fins in flush to the body tube that it should be ok. and the rocket would fly as straight as the fins were glued, he seem content with my answer.

Back