Five Finger Discount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accooper

Reaction score
Here is my latest scratch build. I call it the "Five Finger Discount". I have used wood filler to "fill in fillets on top of the normal wood glue fillets. According to my son it should get close to 1000 feet on a C engine.

Andrew

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

Airfoil those fins, and seal/smooth the surface a bit, and you might go well past 1000 feet.

Round the leading edge and taper the rear half of the fin chord down to a thin trailing edge. Throw on a light coating of sealer or primer, and then sand most of it back off, and the fin surfaces should be a lot more smooth than raw balsa.

I hope you have a huge field to launch from, and the grass is all mowed short, because you're gonna need all the help you can get---

Here is my latest scratch build. I call it the "Five Finger Discount". I have used wood filler to "fill in fillets on top of the normal wood glue fillets. According to my son it should get close to 1000 feet on a C engine.

Andrew

Andrew,

How big is that thing? it looks to be minimum diameter.

Powderburner is spot on about improving performance but if you want to fly it at an AR launch, draggier is probably better. Our field is modest.

I look forward to seeing it up close.

It uses a BT-55 tube, and is about 17 or 18 inches tall. I need to start including a ruler in my pictures to give people some Idea about size.

Andrew

She flew last weekend. Great on a B6-4, better on a C6-3, marginal on an A8-3. Anything smaller would be a suicide run.

Andrew

Back