Mark's visit to Ken's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well according to Ken's motto, "He who dies with the most toys, wins", he's planning on winning. ;) I had a very fun time and I learned a tremendous amount in just the short time I was there.

Thanks again Ken,
Mark

So, does that mean we are going to have another RMS expert on our hands around here?

I tried to give Mark an overview of a lot of the stuff I have been talking to Mark, Milo, and Phil about for the last month. All the RMS hardware that I have - 18mm, 24mm, 29mm, 32mm, and the HPR stuff - 29mm, 38mm, and 54mm. Plus my PML AMRAAM 3 Level 1 cert bird. All my old rockets, some of my not-so-old rockets, a couple of the ones I have modified....

And then there was the SR-71 Radio Controlled rocket boost glider. And two other RC rocket gliders that I haven't gotten around to putting together yet. And maybe 5 or 6 other rocket kits that are ...lying around... waiting for their turn on the assembly workbench.

There was also my custom built (by Carl, aka Dr. Glass) launch control system - a 4 pad controller, true HPR system. Carl, a man of many talents.

Probably some other stuff I've forgotten......

Of course, all this was in the garage which also houses my dozen or so RC planes.

I think Mark had fun. I always have fun demoing my toys.

I have a feeling Mark will do at least 3 things as a result of the visit:
1 - buy some RMS hardware
2 - start on a Level 1 bird
3 - go to Whitakers in September

But as far as dying with the most toys.... I went to second grade with Jesus. That's another way of saying that I'm older than dirt. So, naturally, when you've been collecting stuff for 40 years or so......

The rest of you better get busy !!!!! (Phil and Milo, this means YOU !!!!)

Ken hit the nail on the head on all 3 accounts. Like I said earlier, I almost bought some RMS stuff as soon as I got home. Also, I will be going to Whitakers, NC in September and I'll be looking to do Level 1 Cert sometime in the not too distant future. :cool:

Mark

PS. I haven't seen Jesus' collection yet but, he better not have taken a nap ever or he'll never catch-up! :D

I'm in for Whitakers in September. In fact can someone with the 411 on this event put it on the calendar?

RMS is on my list, but I am leaning towards design right now.

Milo,
Don't be in any hurry for the RMS, sure there is great motors out there in RMS only, but there is also great single use motors and Awsome EconoJet motors.. want a great motor get the G38FJ motor.. it's got the power of a white lighting motor with the smoke of a blackjack.. speed and thick black smoke.
Get use to building rockets... what makes them fly straight... how do I know it's stable? if it's not stable how do I fix it? There is always more then one way to build a rocket.. and Adding nose weight to a rocket isn't alway's the answer to getting an unstable rocket stable...
Learn the right way to pre a rocket, pack a chute.. Once you'v got the hange of it or it's not so over whelming.. then by all means try the RMS.. it's AWSOME!!!!! there are so many great motors out there, even in the hobby line.

:D

I shall do that. Like I said before design is what intriques me right now. But eventually I want to cover the entire "system". I will get to RMS one day. But first I want to get comfortable with design and building a solid rocket.

Back