Rms

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klint

Reaction score
Is it just me or are the instructions that come with aero-tech 29-40/120 hard to understan? but i got it after about 30min (humm maby thats why i am a chield produgy)

hehehehe... I downloaded the instructions from the Aerotech site. I immediately put them down and said no way. But Ken swears to make an RMS user out of me.

its like fishing once ya get the hang of it its easy

RMS hardware ...can... be intimidating at first. But I'll tell you what.... the first time your bird goes off with RMS..... it's a whole 'nother country of rocketry. You BUILT that engine. It's so cool. It also opens up so many more options for power choices. You just can't get the same options with SU (Single Use) motors.

One hint..... for the smaller RMS - the 18mm, 24mm, 29mm/40-120, and the 32mm - get something like a box top to use as a container to work in. I get a lot of boxes from work that the Xerox paper comes in. These boxes are pretty handy for transport and storage of rocket stuff, and the box lid makes a great container / work table to use when assembling the smaller RMS hardware. Use the box lid in an upside down position so that you have the two inch lid rim to contain all the small parts. That way they can't blow away or roll away.

Most of the smaller reload kits have all the components for 3 reload flights. The first thing that I do when I open a new reload package is to sort all the parts. Propellant grains in a little pile, the various size silicone sealing rings each in their own groups, the case linings, the delay linings, delay spacers (if there are any, some reloads need them, some don't), etc. When I get all the parts sorted, I take one of each part and put it in another pile. Then, take all the remaining parts and put them into one of those resealable zip lock sandwich bags. This does two things, 1 - keeps them moisture free, and 2 - keeps them safely together. Try to squeeze most of the air out of it when you seal it.

Then, take your single set of reload components, and the instructions, and assemble your reload. Pay attention to the instructions, take your time, and you'll be fine. When you finish assembling the reload, be sure to put the instructions into the zip-lock bag with the other reload components so that you'll have the instructions handy for the other reloads.

And you will have an incredible feeling of accomplishment when that bird lights off.

Yes, Phil, given half a chance I'll turn you into an RMS-only kind of rocketeer.

If I can get you to Whitakers..... once someone with any interest sees, hears, smells (luv that AP) and yes..... FEELS a few HPR launches..... there's no turning back.

Just remember, the RMS actually gets easier as you progress. By the time you get to 54mm +, you just need a couple of seals with a good sized chunk of grain in the middle and a nozzle...just think, no delays, o-rings, charges, etc.....

that should give you some incentive:D

Carl

I've written up a short tutorial on using the Aerotech 24/40 RMS Casing, and it is posted on the ROC Wizards page of the ROC web site (https://www.rocstock.org ). Click on "ROC Wizards", and I believe it's the first one on the list.

Hope this helps,

- Rick "Reload this" Dickinson

Great write-up, Rick. Thanks alot. I'm planning on buying that same engine next week. Your instructions will come in handy.

Mark

if theres no delay or charge on the bigg rockets how do you get them back and how do the parachutes get deployed

Slikna,

Most large rockets use dual deployment systems for the parachutes, to include atlimeters that fire black powder charges to seperate the model and deploy parachutes at specified altitudes. In fact, Hybrid motor systems do not have motor ejection at all and must totally rely on these electronic deployment systems for recovery.

Carl

thanks cause i recently ordered a 54 mm rocket from the net and i wasnt sure what else i needed to buy

You can still get all 54mm Aerotech reloads with delays, except for the K700 I think...so you will be ok either way.

Ben a while since I last posted any way

Always remember nomatter what you have for deployment you rocket mite not come back

is the f52 engine big enough to lift the mirage. it says itl go 600 feet with it

My Mirage isn't your standard Mirage. I built it in the beginning strong enough for an H128 for my level 1 cert. Since then I have added several ounces and rebuilt it to be stronger. As it was, a G64 would only take it 800 ft. I would think it would now take it only 700ft and an F would be out of the question.

If you are interested in any of the modifications you can find them here:

https://www.cybergatetech.com/phpgraphy/?dir=Rocketry/Mirage

That is how I initially built it. Moda is how I had to modify the fins. Modb is after a crash and is its current condition.

You planning on buying a Mirage? It is a great kit, maybe too much money for what it is but I still like the kit.

I already have it. I just wanted to know cause from past posts it didnt seem like people thought a g engine could lift it

Did you build yours per Aerotech instructions?

If you did, then I would expect an F would do just fine. It may be a bit low for deployment based on the way Aerotech designed the Mirage. I still think a G engine is the best motor for the Mirage.

A suggestion though: The original design has 2 chutes right? I never did get that to work. The chutes kept tangling and it always came down on its 30" chutte. My suggestion is one chute design for that bird.

That happens alot when smaller shroud lines but its just a howl lot eseir to go with one large chut if the rockets ID is big enuff. I havent ran SIM on a mirrage for an F but if the field allows and budget why not go with an G unless the rocket is to weak for that kind of impulse

youre suposed to put the upper body shoot in first then the lower body shoot. ive flown it on a g and it worked great. the chutes came out. you did put the parachutes in like youre supposed to right

HOW DARE YOU DOUBT MY ATHORITY well actually I dont have a mirrage but I do have severl scratch bilt I have fitted with to small chutes and for me it seems hit or miss on a ssucsesfull deploment. And there is the maf. way of putting chutes in but I found it better to experemant with how you put them in and do what works best. (experment with stuff you dont want in you roscket fleet)

well i dont not want anything in my fleet. so far my fleet is 4 estes had more but broke them or lost them. an initiator a mustang and a mirage. i flown it once and it was an ify flight cause the chutes almost didnt openhow do you keep them from tangling with the two chutes. (cause i probably wont put one in) and if i do what size and how much would the new chute cost

Depends were you get it and what kind of material it is made out of. I dont know what diameter the 2 ar but if its like 14 and 14 maby a 28in or 30in chute. I also depends how much your rocket ways.

Does it seperate into 2 pices each under their own chute? I would think something like a 35in or evean a 30 but you also need to decide what kind of winds and how hard the ground is. If is will be landing on pavment maby something a little bit bigger but if hi winds are a problem maby just the stock 30in. Keepasking ya need to se waht others in the group have to say about the subject the could have figerd I am rong on something

Back