Rms

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
www.publicmissiles.com has a chute size figurator (is that even a word?) chart. The first two launches of my Mirage I followed PML's chute pack method and the instructions for packing the 2 chutes. They hung everytime.

Hung as in the 23" chute was wrapped around the 30" shock cord causing the whole unit to come down on the 30" chute. It didn't seem to matter much to the Mirage but I would have liked to see it on 2 chutes.

Originally posted by Slikna99
what is the best propellant blue thunder,white lightning,blackjack

That depends on what you are looking for:
Blue Thunder usually gives you HIGH and QUICK thrust (Do you want your rocket to zip off the pad!)

White Lightning gives you a "throaty" sound, best sound with an average thrust and longer duration.

Black Jacks makes a lot of black smoke but usually have a lower average thrust, slower lift-offs, longer duration (but make sure your rocket isn't too heavy for it).

- Nick

If you use Black Jack there really needs to be way less wind. I used my LOC graduwator on a white lightning in moderate winds and evrything went fine so the next day went out and used a black jack in same winds.......well it came back in one pice but a good 3 feet shorter.

Ummm...no ejection?

I never really cared for Blackjack motors, but I do fly them occasionally on calm days [usually an F22 in my THOY Wasp]. I once saw club members scatter when an Arreaux turned a number of loops less than 50 feet above the launch pad under the power of [or, underpowered by] an F14 amid winds of 10 kts. When the rocket finished its black-smoke-conniption, it came down horizontally from about 100 feet, impacted into the ground, then kicked out its chute.

Went up wind knocked it over and still under the F power it smaked into the ground. I must say those LOC nosecones are indestructible.

Well, I wouldn't say "indestructible"..... see my 5.5 cone here on my first Meanie x2? That's a $50 Nose Cone! Gone!

HERE

Nick

Is the NC totally gone or did it just turn into a large, long tail cone?

OUCH!! Hard to brake more likely? Still stronger than anything else not home made I have used.

Back