I'm ready to try this

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milo

TRF BoD Member
Reaction score
Ok... How do I get started designing and building my first baby. I have some modeling skills (model railroading, plastic models, etc.) and have successfully constructed a few kits. Is there software to help me design this thing? Is there good info on how to find the CoG, etc.? Where's a good place to get all the parts?

I'm assuming some tools are needed. Dremel tool? Sander? What do I need here?

I saw the modeling techniques for fiberglass. Those will come in handy I'm sure.

I haven't used it personally but, I've heard many people say that the tool to use to model your scratch-built rockets is RockSim. You can download a demo copy of Rocksim here: Apogee Rockets . I haven't quite gotten to the point that I'm ready to start custom building but, it's definately on my mind. :)

Mark

what you need to do is design it on paper, how long, what diameter, ect, me, i chose an exsisting rocket, and i know that i want it 4 inch diam. so the rest was chosen for me.

when you build your rocket , you want to do it almost the same as the estes kits, the only diference really is not paper centering rings, and no engine stop, there is no reason for this, except to limit the motor length , which you dont want. you first probably want to start off with phenolic tubing, and stuff, and work your way up.
also draw out your plans before hand, that way when you go to the store, you dont have to go back 5 minutes after you left cause you got a better idea or forgot something or ...............

good luck dude, it aint as hard as i though it would be
-michael brown

The first rocket I scratch built, I kind of went the wrong way. I decided to make a bigger rocket with a mailing tube that was given me. So, I designed, (in my head), what I wanted, started it, cut the fins out of basswood, did a ton of gluing, sanding, prepping, then had a heck of a time finding a nose cone!!! Man, what an idiot, you might find people willing to give you advice on building or shaping a nose cone, but by gosh, that's what I start with now! hehehehehe They are SPENDY!!!

(at this point I should mention that your fins should be cut with the grain going the _correct_ way, as I did the first set wrong, which led to my first Scratch Built's demise.)

For my second scratch build, I _started_ with the nose cone and went from there. It was a 4X Misquito, and flew very nicely about 3 times, then I put an F-24 and she shredded. Was a neat flight, no harm no fould, but should have built the fins much stronger.

I expect this is going to be a long but very rewarding journey.

In a word " Rock-Sim" this program is well worth it's weight in gold if you plan on doing much fly'n. Not only can you design and build rockets with it, but you can get most of the rocket kits already desgined in the program and you can run sim's that tell you how high, how fast, how far you have to walk to find it.. lol
It also gives you templates that you can print out for your Nose Cone or your fins and transitions, and there is an automatic calculater that figures your TTW (Through the wall) fin tabs for you. It's great.. download the demo for apogee, spend sometime play'n with it and you'll find your self wishing it was the full verion right then and there.
I have all my rockets on rock-sim files and then printed out in a binder book that I take to the launchs with me so I know what motors I can fly in a certain rocket and how they will perform.. it's just truely awsome.

I downloaded the demo last night. Unfortuately I'm currrently to ignorant to know what I am looking at. I'm hoping the book will help. It does look like an incredibly thorough application. Can't wait to get good at using it.

The book will not help you with Rock-Sim... you just need to start with a Nose Cone or Body Tube.. and go from there.. open one of the rockets that is already built to see the componets and stuff.. if you need more help, email me or IM me. Good luck

Well the book has a huge glossary of terms that I think will help. I will definitely take a look at the Sim some more, but I was pretty overwhelmed at first glance. I had no clue what the questions were asking for and didn't have the slightest idea what type of values to enter.

I'm having trouble finding a site that sells parts. Any recommendations?

What ELECTRODE said!!!!! Doubled! Rocksim is what I would consider the cadillac of programs for design and simulation. It can even give a 3D solid or wire frame CAD/CAM drawing, fully rotatable on all 3 axis. I initially bought it back in March I think, for my L3 project and have been at it ever since.

What your going to find out as you progress in this hobby is that every rocketeer has a specialty skill that they really enjoy doing. Some, like myself, are heavy into the mathematics and design/building, others like clustering, some like staging, some like building the unusual, some like building their own motors and so on.....

It's that individuality and combined skill set, along with great attitudes that make this hobby so enjoyable. Everyone is willing to help or ask for help, which is why rocketry will be around for quite some time.

Cya,

Carl

Milo...
I use Red Arrow Hobbies... https://hobbies.goos.com/ Dave (Owner) is part of the rocket club I belong to and know's all of rockets and has a great product. He also has the famous Red Arrow Flexalbe Phenlic tubes. And if he dosn't have a part that you need, he'll make it for you.

I was telling PGerringer this the other day. I feel I'm the design type. It is not enough for me to just see it work. I want to know WHY it worked. Even though I just about flunked physics in college I still love the stuff. That is the fascination for me.

Thanks Electrode, now can you explain what "Phenlic" is and why I want it instead of other types? What are the other types? You are working with a very wet behind the ears newbie here.

That will be my only question for now. I need to do a little research so I can ask some intelligent questions.

Electrode, never tried that shop, but I am going to give it a shot. I currently use places like Performance Hobbies and Magnum Rockets for all my supplies. Magnum is convienent for me since I only live 2 hours away and can save the shipping on BIG tube items. For smaller kits and D-G reloads, I go to www.questrockets.com which is actually Valuland Hobby Mall. Their prices are killer and service is fast. In addition, I have ordered directly from PML and Rocket R & D; I have come to the conclusion that just about every shop has thier value and specialty items. Let me know and I can email you my "Favorites" list...but fair warning...you will be browsing for hours and LIKING it!

Also, if you wish I can supply you with the Barrowman formula's for calculating CP. I still have the manual from, probably the 60's, that Dr. Barrowman wrote for Century rockets. It will give your math skills a tune up, but is pretty straight forward. Simple Algebretic and Geometric equations are assumed, but I can supply those too if needed.

Have fun with your design and, if you can swing it, get a full copy of RockSim. I DL'ed the demo and was bummed I spent some time on it and couldnt save or print.

Cya,

Carl

I'll take anything you have and are willing to give. Right now I'm in "suck it up" mode. I am reading anything I can get my hands on.

Milo

The 'bible' of rocketry is "The Handbook of Model Rocketry" by the father of the hobby, the late, G Harry Stine. As a newbie you will gain a vast ammount of info from this book. It should be available from most hobby sources in the US, here in England we can get copies from our small number of dealers. I originally had to get mine from NARTS by mail order as it was before the hobby really got going over here.

BTW Phenolic tubing is a resin impregnated paper, very tough but a lot heavier than card. (and the spiral grooves are a nuisance to fill)

Good luck with the Forum and your rockets

I've been meaning to get that book as well. I've was putting it off to see where I went with the hobby. Obviously I've become addicted.

Welcome to the forum. Let us know if we can make your experience any better. If you see something you don't like send us an e-mail or post it in the Feedback Forum. We are just getting started and we are not perfect by any means.

I now have the "bible" of our hobby and the Model Rocket Design and Construction book by Timothy S. Van Milligan. I will let you know how they are.

Back