my scratch built

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you prefer?

• RMS

• Single Use

• RMS

• Single Use

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neonknight

Reaction score
right now my current project is a 4 inch wide black brant 2 that is 6 feet 4 inches tall. i built a poor one before, but this this one is gonna be bitchen. for 88 dollars i had 2 tubes cut, one 22 inches long, one 20 inches long, they are hawk mountain fiberglass tubes, very high quality. the nose cone is a scotglas 3.9 inch black brant 2 nose cone, it was 55 dollars. i put a 3 inch motor mount in it and have constructed 2 other motor mounts that slide into the 3 inch tube, one is a 38mm tube, the other is 3 29mm tubes. i flew my other BB2 on one G, 3F's and 3D's. it did 1850 feet, and it jumped off of the pad broke on the landing, and zippered, i didnt like the design any how, so im doing a new one useing the old nose cone. 3 g 64s should do nicely in my opinion. when i turn 18 in november, i plan to certify on an AT 38mm I motor, with accelerometer ejection in dual deployment.

the tail cone i used i made myself and am quite impressed with, in one of the recent rocket mags, there is and article on how to make tail cones. what you do is work the formulas so you have a paper pattern and when you roll it it makes a tail cone, i fiberglassed the outside, and had an excellent tail cone.
the parachute is a PML 54 inch chute with a 4-5 inch spill hole

if you are interested, i can get you dimentions on the actuall black brant 2 and the dimentions of mine, with drawings of the construction of the motor mount, on my old BB2, i did not use roc sim or any of that, yes stupidly i admit, but with the length being as long as it was i though for sure it would be stable, it was perfectly stable on both of its flights, so be sure to make sure that it is long enough for its diameter. i know i guess ive done a bit of describeing what ive done, but it was a very beautiful rocket
if i might say so and turned many heads. i actually got a "heads up" 10 second count down. . also the way i did it, i could level
one and level 2 if i wanted to. so its quite diverse. with fiber glass
tubes, the strength is higher so worry of shred is less. if i was insane i could fly it on a 75mm L motor, but i dont think ill try that.

good luck and email me if you have any questions, also i can show you how to make your own cenering rings too, me and my dad came up with a brilliant wayof doing it
-michael brown
[email protected]

I see myself going in the scratch built direction. I'm new to the hobby but my interest seems to leaning toward the physics of it all. Designing and building my own rocket from scratch. Theres gotta be a good feeling watching fly that first time. I'll have to catch up with you sometime and get you to point me down the right road.

I have built a few scratch built rockets. My first HPR called the Sky Ruler was also my level 2 cert bird. Flew to just under 6000 feet with dual deployment on a RRC2 and a perfect landing. See my project page for pictures and description on construction of this rocket. (https://www.mbrocketry.com/my_level_two_project.htm)

I’m currently working on Johnny Bravo (https://www.mbrocketry.com/my_latest_project.htm). It will fly on a K1100 Aug 25th at my local Tripoli launch in Hartsel, CO.

Hey Mike I would like to see your way of making centering rings. I use a jig I am making for my router table. But I’m always looking for new and better ways of doing things.

I have scratch built a couple of rockets my most impressive can be seen at https://www.railbuttons.com/rb/ at the bottom of the page. It's a 2.85x upscale of the Estes AGM-57x HeatSeeker it is 3" dia. and 52.25" long.
Your BB2 sounds great. I'd like to see some pic's if you have some. If you email me your dimentions I'd be happy to put it through Rock-Sim for you and give you the results, with motor data and a nice 3D pic.
My current project is a 4" V-2 Blossome #47. All scratch built. I have on the drawing board a 7.5" dia. Bumper #8. And I plan to build a BB2 one of these days as well. So many rockets to build so little time. :)

The scratchbuilt rocket that I currently fly the most is one I call the Marauder. (I named it after the early '60's Mercury. I didn't know the name had already been used by Estes and Centuri.) Last weekend at NARAM one of the announcers suggested that if anyone was interested in "futuristic" rockets, they should steal the Marauder from me. I took it as a compliment. It flies great, straight and high which is odd considering the amount of hardware hanging out in the wind. If I could figure out how to attach a picture, I would. (Not my area of specialty.)

Hey Tim, I have seen your rocket on RMR. Man what a fantastic rocket you built. I love the detail. Nice scratch built.

Mike, thanks for the comment on my rocket. I really enjoyed building it and it get's a lot of comments at the launch. Have you seen the new Extream Rocketry Mag? There is a pic of a guy that built some really nice Estes UpScales.. and there is a HeatSeeker in the pic. Looks to be a 5.5" dia. very big.. very nice. Here is a pic of mine durring the boost on a J350w-P for my L2 Cert flight.
:rolleyes:
Enjoy... Fly'm High and True!

That is very impressive. See... it's shoots like these that just make me want to get certified to level 3.

Man that is cool.

Power... need more power.

i would like you run the rocekt through rocksim, but dont you have to know everything, like all the wieghts of the tubes, and rings, etc?

can you email me your email, so i can give you the dimentions?
mine is [email protected]

Neon,

Rocksim is a very slick program and as long as you send him the brands of materials (eg:pml phenolic 6" body tubes, Loc 6" nose cone, etc...) he can check it out as rocksim has an extensive database of components from many manufacturers with specs on each component. Include dimensions such as lower body tube length, upper tube length and bulkhead/centering ring positions measured from on end of the tube, nosecone, type of finish and parachute brand/size. It really is an amazing program and was worth every penny I spent on it.

You could also include some motor loads you may wish to use as it can "load em up" and runsim launches. I use this to get a range of motors I want to use for a specific design while still maintaining a good CP to CG relationship. Good stuff.

cya

Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back