New To Me Nikon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave carver

....what hump?
Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and got a good camera, a Nikon Coolpix L830. It's a factory refurbished unit but I have no problem with that, I have bought many refurbished items in the past with no troubles at all. Many times they are better than new with all the faults corrected. It runs on AA batteries, I have a mountain of rechargeable AA's. It also can be run from a wall wart at 6 volts. I have 6 six volt SLA batteries, a power cord and with enough memory I could just turn the camera on and let it run.

I was just completely unhappy with the results of previous camera purchases, grainy as all get out. In High School I was a yearbook/news paper photog and what I was getting from digital photos sucked at best. I learned photography using a Yashika MAT124 DLR and Speed Graphelix 2 1/4x3 1/4 negative and a Graphlix 4x5 portrait camera A major reason I hardly ever post a photo.

Now my photo output will increase...I hope. I also hope to take a few Community Education photo classes, I'm sure they will help :)

https://www.cnet.com/products/nikon-coolpix-l830-black/

Last edited:
That's a nice looking camera. I prefer CMOS sensors to CCD. I think they give superior results. My two Canon P&S and my Panny FZ150 all have CMOS sensors. I think you'll be happy with it!

I studied what was available and the Nikon just seemed the best. A lot of times I go to the reviews and look at the bad ones, you learn nothing from the good reviews. The worst reviews had mostly to do with the stupidity of the new user not bad cameras. I mean, how can you 1 star something because you were too stupid to know it uses 4 AA batteries?

Anyway, I'm glad to see I'm going in the right direction :)

Back