Anyone else remember the 38mm original LOC Tristar?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob jablonski

Reaction score
Yesterday I was looking at an old Tripoli Magazine and seen a photo of the original LOC Tristar kit. 4" diameter with 3 motor tubes. I talked to Berry at LOC and he went to the 3" diameter 29mm due to cost (3 38mm reload cases). Now that Aerotech has the DMS motors I may have to build one. Can you imagine one on 3 H115DM (with addapers) or 3 I140w? I have the 3" one I fly but the bigger one...:grin:
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com

Awesome rocket. Debated building one several times. brother had one back in the day.

So scratch build it. I am sure that somebody has a Rocksim file for one.

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I remember it. When I attended LDRS in 1991, a LOC Tristar loaded with 3XI161's put on a great boost, followed by separation. The booster landed about 30 feet from the flight line, and it landed way hard.

I would love to build one myself, but will probably build an ACE Allegro Largo instead.

Allegro.jpgAllegro2.jpg

ONLY three 38's in a 4" rocket?
-chuckles and looks at avatar-

Hmmm... REALLY like the looks of that old ACE Allegro, though. Looks like a bigger LOC Viper III, but not quite King Viper.

Last edited:
The best flight of my Tri-Star was 3 H45-10's :) I have thought about building another.

Why stop at 3? A 4" airframe will fit a 4x38mm mount. Hmmm...

Want to do a collaboration / drag race for LDRS?
First; come up with a group design then, build them, and finally drag race at next years LDRS??

If so I'm in!

JD

Were you talking to Berry? I called today abount getting some parts to build one (a transition and some kits to blow out for Black Friday HINT HINT) and He let me know he has one and challenged me to a drag race at LDRS. And it went down from there. Now I am going to pick up some custom made 4" Tristar kits at the Three Oaks Porta Potty launch (Nov 22-23) along with the Black Friday blow out kits (HINT HINT). And I'm now sponsoring a LDRS drag race. 4" 38mm LOC Tristars with your choice of H115DM or I140W. I will also include My prebuilt Phenolc 38-29mm adapters if you go with the H115DM. Not sure if first off the pad with all 3 motors lit or first recovered with all 3 motors lit will win. But the winner (not me) will get a $50.00 gift certificate for My shop.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]

Kool!
I still like the 4 x 38 mm better.

JD
Were you talking to Berry? I called today abount getting some parts to build one (a transition and some kits to blow out for Black Friday HINT HINT) and He let me know he has one and challenged me to a drag race at LDRS. And it went down from there. Now I am going to pick up some custom made 4" Tristar kits at the Three Oaks Porta Potty launch (Nov 22-23) along with the Black Friday blow out kits (HINT HINT). And I'm now sponsoring a LDRS drag race. 4" 38mm LOC Tristars with your choice of H115DM or I140W. I will also include My prebuilt Phenolc 38-29mm adapters if you go with the H115DM. Not sure if first off the pad with all 3 motors lit or first recovered with all 3 motors lit will win. But the winner (not me) will get a $50.00 gift certificate for My shop.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]

JD..those are some heavy ass motors....they might have cracks by now but Wow!

to those that don't know this was The Largest Black Powder motor commercially available (Maybe Ever?) and pressed into aluminum tubes. :shock:

Last edited:
It will be posted tomorrow but not for sale until Sunday as I won't have them until I pick them up Sat from the LOC Doc (Barry). I don't like putting things that are not in stock and back ordering orders. It can be hard if I sell out of something at a launch and an order is placed...
Mr. Bob

loc pk-30 tristar.jpg
Here is the LOC Tristar 63.75" long 2.63" upper section 4.00" lower 46 oz. and 3-38mm motor tubes. The only changes is going from the 44' to a 50" parachute and using 1/4" ply fins insted of 3/16"
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
you know the rest

Then, it would be 4" reducing down to 3" correct?
Loc doesn't make a 4.0" reducing to 2.63" tubing (that I know of)??

JD

View attachment 247050
Here is the LOC Tristar 63.75" long 2.63" upper section 4.00" lower 46 oz. and 3-38mm motor tubes. The only changes is going from the 44' to a 50" parachute and using 1/4" ply fins insted of 3/16"
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
you know the rest

You may be correct. I was told it would be the same as original outside the fin thickness and chute size. Maybe Barry has some old couplers or that will be with the new transition which is 4.00-3.00. I'll be able to verify when I have the kits in hand. (tuesday).
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies.

Back