Got Rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
What is a rocket?
Is anything that had a motor stuffed in it and flew a rocket?
Whats your idea/view of what is a rocket.

Most here know what I build and I've been told by a few that altho very nice stuff, some are not seen as a rocket in their view.
And thats OK by me.I can understand that.

Model/ hobby Rocket: Anything that can safely (NAR/ TRA safety code) fly on a certified or EX rocket motor in an "up" direction (not rocket car things).
Rocket: anything that goes up by means of a rocket, be it solid, liquid, hybrid, water, etc. and has a specific purpose. ie, a kid taping a motor to a barbie and waving by-by is not a rocket.
Nate

Last edited:
What is a rocket?
Is anything that had a motor stuffed in it and flew a rocket?
Whats your idea/view of what is a rocket.

Most here know what I build and I've been told by a few that altho very nice stuff, some are not seen as a rocket in their view.
And thats OK by me.I can understand that.

Any projectile that can be successfully launched, not matter the shape or size, or type of propellent used, that can be safely launched and recovered within a givin area. Who's to say what size that area is? Rules are for safety in a populated envorment as I see it.
Like me, I think, as you, on your own private launch area, anything goes.
Because, if you look into a mirror, THAT person looking at you is the only one responsible for your safety.
Not like when I was growing up, we didn't have digital cams now that can share.
Those that cared and dared to witness back then, and survived, was witness to the success, or the unique distasterduss failure of our flyt.
I love those old days. I'd do anything to be able to know what I Know, and go back then. OH WHAT FUN IT WOULD BE!!!

One of the "higher ups" at the club launches I attend, has a pizza box, reinforced of course, and flies it on D motors. No, I don't think that's a rocket. It's a flying pizza box.

One of the "higher ups" at the club launches I attend, has a pizza box, reinforced of course, and flies it on D motors. No, I don't think that's a rocket. It's a flying pizza box.

WRONG, if you put a "Solid Rocket Moter" in it and it flys, it's a Rocket. Maybe not a good rocket, but "A ROCKET"

And why gary would YOU of all people....Be eatin Pizza?????? :jaw:

WRONG, if you put a "Solid Rocket Moter" in it and it flys, it's a Rocket. Maybe not a good rocket, but "A ROCKET"

And why gary would YOU of all people....Be eatin Pizza?????? :jaw:

Personal Opinion.....if it has a number of fins, an airframe and a nose section of sorts, I consider that a rocket. Otherwise it's a flying whatever.
FWIW....It wasn't my pizza. If it came in a box, it DEFINITELY wasn't my pizza. I'd make one from scratch of course.....which is why I don't eat pizza very often. Not too good at those....yet.

LMAO....Go you Matt! But the 1st two pics show a couple of Areotech motors. Looks like he's only flying with one in the 3rd shot.

Personal Opinion.....if it has a number of fins, an airframe and a nose section of sorts, I consider that a rocket. Otherwise it's a flying whatever.
FWIW....It wasn't my pizza. If it came in a box, it DEFINITELY wasn't my pizza. I'd make one from scratch of course.....which is why I don't eat pizza very often. Not too good at those....yet.

I know, was just pickin and flickin Gary. PM sent

A slippery slope.

To a purist, a rocket is a nose cone, body tube, and fins propelled by a "whosher", whether it be a solid propellant, hybrid, or air pressure/water (ie bottle rocket), or other.
But then you start adding doodads, and distorting the parts - transitions, tube fins, pods, etc. - still a rocket, but a one with character.
Then more changes - and off to a totally different "thing"

At what point do you say it is no longer a rocket but a flying watchamakallit?

Is a saucer a rocket? Estes Black Start Voyager? Sirius USS Atlantis?, Fliskits Borealis?

To me, if it goes up (safely following the rules) using an appropriate whosher, it be a rocket!

Last edited:
Pizza is easy. All you need is perfect dough, perfect sauce and perfect cheese, a gas fired stone slab oven and 10 minutes...
:wink:

Back