Roku 3 - Just got it

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mushtang

Premium Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Last night I opened and installed my new Roku 3 after a friend told me about it and I decided to buy it. We watched a Netflix movie on our TV which I'd only been able to do before by connecting my laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable. Now we can stream from a lot of sources (Amazon Prime movies, YouTube, Hulu, etc.)

As lunch today I mentioned it to a friend and he told me that hooking up headphones to the remote control was his favorite feature of his. I was shocked, somehow I missed the fact that you could do that and it made it SO much better for me. Often times I'll want to watch TV while my wife is on her tablet and I don't want to disturb her or make her feel like she has to go into a different room. But now I can use earbuds and watch the big TV instead of my laptop. Sweet.

I've also found an app that will let me use my iPhone to control the Roku, which is WAY awesome because the remote control for the Roku makes it very difficult to type. There's just an on screen keyboard and you have to move the cursor around and type in things the long way, such as searching for a movie title, entering in your log in information, etc., but the keyboard on the iPhone lets you do all that much easier. I've installed it but haven't tried it out yet.

There's also another app that I haven't installed that supposedly will allow me to stream a movie from my laptop to the Roku over the wifi in my house. This will be great since I've downloaded a lot of movies onto my laptop and want to continue.

Anyone else have Roku? Give me some more things to love about it.

I've also found an app that will let me use my iPhone to control the Roku, which is WAY awesome because the remote control for the Roku makes it very difficult to type. There's just an on screen keyboard and you have to move the cursor around and type in things the long way, such as searching for a movie title, entering in your log in information, etc., but the keyboard on the iPhone lets you do all that much easier. I've installed it but haven't tried it out yet.

I'd be interested in hearing how that app works out. The Roku works well with the Amazon video store. And there's a pretty decent NASA-TV channel.

Back