Scratchers Nightmare

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
OK all you scratch builders. I know some of you have seen the commercials. It won't be long now before you'll be "signing contracts" in the bathroom with the absence of a precious little jewel you like to keep. Yeah, that little tube in your bum fodder, is looking like it's going the way of the Doodoo bi.....uh....er....Dodo bird. I remember making many little squat rockets out of those. But my fondest memory was how my father utilized them. Long before there were any such tube finned rockets on the market, HE BUILT ONE! We laughed, thinking, "That'll never fly." To this day, I still don't understand why I didn't enter that idea in the "Design Of The Month Contest."

So, buckle up and embrace the future.

tubless tp.jpg

Crap! I better start saving them instead of composting them. Thanks for the heads up.

The TP rocket is soon to be OOP.
It will be Ebay crapper tube madness.
The shelves will be wiped clean.
It will leave people flushed.
Your not yanking me chain here?
This stinks... :eyeroll:

GB - be honest. When was the last time you actually used a TP tube in a build?
I really wasn't reflecting on myself. I knew there were modelers here that still practice this. Those are shoddy tubes anyway. Even back in the day. BITD...that was when.

GB - be honest. When was the last time you actually used a TP tube in a build?

To be honest, I'm making one right now, out of internally plastic coated tube that a confiscat...er, liberate....er, salvaged from my place of work...right out of the trash bin!

I figured if I worked that hard to use up the roll....and I can see a use for them...then I'm entitled to any that I claim from the trash. So far, I've got two involved in a one stage rocket that I'm working on.

I'm pleased to see that I'm following in the footprints of so many distinguished rocketeers before me...:lol:

Proof's in the picture SD. I've seen this commercial for nearly 2 months now, and I can't believe no one's brought it up yet. I'm sure other brands will follow the trend.

The rolls here at Dartmouth have been tube-less for years. The rolls have about a 1/2-3/4 open center that a rod goes thru in the dispenser. Some holiday wrapping paper has been tube-less for years also.
I'm telling ya,EBAY madness

Part of me kinda resents that the TP makers would be so cheap that they leave out these tubes....

But another part of me realizes that the tubes have already been so flimsy and wimpy for years and years that they may as well leave them out.

Bathroom habits aside, I have to say that I have never felt drawn to use these tubes in any form of rocketry. We're talking about what is already one of the least expensive parts of a model rocket---the body tube---so it just seems silly to me to worry about skimping on these parts by introducing weaker, rougher, lower-quality TP tubes that don't fit any of the rest of our components (centering rings, stage couplers, nose cones, etc). My two cents....

The rolls here at Dartmouth have been tube-less for years. The rolls have about a 1/2-3/4 open center that a rod goes thru in the dispenser. Some holiday wrapping paper has been tube-less for years also.
I'm telling ya,EBAY madness

Well, if your desperate just fly the damned roll :D That opening is big enough for a C or maybe a 24mm D or E.

If a spool can fly stable why not a roll? Besides, it leaves it's own streamer behind and if you don't Borax the roll the it could become a flaming streak in the sky, generating UFO reports. Also excellent for desert night launches. YMMV

The rolls here at Dartmouth have been tube-less for years. Some holiday wrapping paper has been tube-less for years also.

I have yet to see a tubeless roll of TP in my area. I guess it all depends on what brand you buy. Wrapping paper tubes have been letting go for years. They first started by putting a curved paper spirally sheet in for support. Launched quite a few of those old gift wrap tubes in my time.

I have yet to see a tubeless roll of TP in my area. I guess it all depends on what brand you buy. Wrapping paper tubes have been letting go for years. They first started by putting a curved paper spirally sheet in for support. Launched quite a few of those old gift wrap tubes in my time.

If they want to leave the tube out of TP rolls let them. Paper towel rolls I get around here are the same OD just longer. if You need others. Gift warp rolls have a number of different diameters and lengths.

This said: I only use such tube as stiffeners or other places where the nasty things won't be seen.

For those who do not like the idea of your TP not on a tube, you can always buy rocket BT and rewind your TP onto it.

And here I thought that the “Scratchers nightmare” was the closing of Semroc.

And here I thought that the “Scratchers nightmare” was the closing of Semroc.

The closing of Semroc was a nightmare, but I think that we've held out hope that a buyer could be found. I saw that Sheryl had posted a thread advising that the company is now being offered for 50% of the previous asking price.

I highly doubt that TP cardboard cores will make a comeback.

Well, if your desperate just fly the damned roll :D That opening is big enough for a C or maybe a 24mm D or E.

If a spool can fly stable why not a roll? Besides, it leaves it's own streamer behind and if you don't Borax the roll the it could become a flaming streak in the sky, generating UFO reports. Also excellent for desert night launches. YMMV
Its been done. I think "ScrapDaddy" flew a roll.?

My first thought was of an itch that could not be scratched. Maybe something to do with Kirk G's wooly worm rash!
Ya, I thought about the title . I had a few strange thoughts me self.
A "Scratchers Nightmare" would be not having an itch to scratch"

Ya, I thought about the title . I had a few strange thoughts me self.
A "Scratchers Nightmare" would be not having an itch to scratch"

Nothing like using the right title to get some attention, eh? Let's face it, we who scratch build, are definitely scratchers. And the word doesn't even come up in the "right click" spelling options. I just knew some of the folks here still use TP tubes and it was just a word up. I still have a dozen of the better quality ones stashed away, and I'll prolly never use them. Along with plastic wrap rolls, aluminum foil rolls, wax paper rolls....yadda yadda. OH....btw the way, I'm also a box hoarder and packaging goodies like bubble wrap, packing pillows, scrunchie paper stuffing like Amazon uses. You get the drift. Speaking of drifts, you wouldn't BELIEVE the fantastic smell coming out of my kitchen tonight. I have a fresh batch of beef jerky working and the aroma is incredible!

Speaking of drifts, you wouldn't BELIEVE the fantastic smell coming out of my kitchen tonight. I have a fresh batch of beef jerky working and the aroma is incredible!

Bumped this up for the yum factor. That beef jerky is a 10 in my book. OH..and there's those oatmeal cans, peanut cans, coffee cans ( the ones that still use the cardboard containers ) If I ever get really f'ing board, I have options.

Speaking of drifts, you wouldn't BELIEVE the fantastic smell coming out of my kitchen tonight. I have a fresh batch of beef jerky working and the aroma is incredible!

Bumped this up for the yum factor. That beef jerky is a 10 in my book. OH..and there's those oatmeal cans, peanut cans, coffee cans ( the ones that still use the cardboard containers ) If I ever get really f'ing bored, I have options.

Bumped this up for the yum factor. That beef jerky is a 10 in my book. OH..and there's those oatmeal cans, peanut cans, coffee cans ( the ones that still use the cardboard containers ) If I ever get really f'ing bored, I have options.
You do have me address.. :wink:

I have been saving all kinds of paper cans for awhile.
I had a small bag full (size of a groceriy bag) of paper sugar containers from Cumbies.Oh....maybe 8-12 of them.
Did a rocket room clean out and had left them (bag) outside the shed . A black bear came and took the bag down over the bank.
I found every container had been ripped open and licked clean of the small bit of left over sugar.
Its getting cold and it is the time to start the homemade soups and stews.

Last edited:
I'm doing a big garage cleanup, and just recycled a bunch of cardboard tubes I had been hoarding.

I'm doing a big garage cleanup, and just recycled a bunch of cardboard tubes I had been hoarding.

I really get that. Us guys hate to throw something away that might have potential. I have so many oatmeal cans it insane. Maybe I'll build a really big tube finned rocket.

Back