Wired Keyboards

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
Wired? You ask? Well for starters, the last thing I want is something ELSE in my house that requires batteries. That being my chosen direction, leaves me with very few options in this itty bitty town, and even in the neighboring town with way more options. All we have is a Staples and Wal-Mart, and I ain't buying electronics from Wally! I usually get the Logitech K120 because it has these nice bold characters that are easy to see. BTW, Yes, I do have to watch what I'm typing because I never got good enough to type w/o looking. The action ain't too bad for my likes, and the price is nice. Problem is, I go through 1 of these a year. Since it's a cheap keyboard, the characters are also cheaply printed, they usually start wearing away after around 6-8 months. I tried a Dynex model last year, only to realize the characters were so thin, I could barely see them.

Today I went and got a new one, but I had a little brainstorm that might get me past the 12th month. I grabbed a bottle of thin CA and 5-6 Q-Tips, and started coating the characters. Didn't think it was necessary to do the whole key. Anyway, if the CA can stand the abuse of my two finger hammering, maybe I'll get a little more mileage out of this one. And for what it's worth, I only needed 1 Q-Tip to get the job done. Got a favorite keyboard? Let's hear it.

I love wired keyboards. I used a custom OCN Ducky Mechanical keyboard I got for free. They retail for $100+

Go to Goodwill, I bought my last keyboard there in almost new condition for $2.50!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Go to Goodwill, I bought my last keyboard there in almost new condition for $2.50!

We have a Goodwill here, but honestly, I really don't buy 2nd hand electronic equipment. Around here, you're usually buying someone elses old issues. I stick to mostly new stuff. On the other hand, GW is a fine place to shop for unrecognized gems. I go there periodically, just for grins.

I did'nt know they made them without a Wire.:confused:
I had to pry most of the Keys out of mine because my Cats jump up on it and they could do a lot of Formatting with all those Format Keys.
Not like I would know what to do with them anyway, so they are not missed.
Caps Lock had to go because I hate it when I get done typing something only to look up at the Screen to see that half or all of it is in Capital Letters.
There were other "Mystery Keys", and they had to go too.

My Keyboard 001.jpg

Last edited:
I did'nt know they made them without a Wire.:confused:
I had to pry most of the Keys out of mine because my Cats jump up on it and they could do a lot of Formatting with all those Format Keys.
Not like I would know what to do with them anyway, so they are not missed.
Caps Lock had to go because I hate it when I get done typing something only to look up at the Screen to see that half or all of it is in Capital Letters.
There were other "Mystery Keys", and they had to go too.

Two things. Most keyboards today are wireless anymore. Wired keys are mostly in the "cheapy" zone. Maybe you should keep your cats away from access to your comp. Uh...that's 3 things...:facepalm:

I bought a wireless keyboard mouse combo about two months ago. Only used the keyboard for a week or so before dumping it. It would go unresponsive now and then, then give me 10 of the same character... very annoying. I liked the looks of it but I guess I got what I paid for (a $25 combo pack). The mouse isn't bad bud does get glitch every now and then.

Maybe I'll get another wireless keyboard sometime, but for now I've gone back to my trusty wired one!

Marc

I bought a wireless keyboard mouse combo about two months ago. Only used the keyboard for a week or so before dumping it. It would go unresponsive now and then, then give me 10 of the same character... very annoying. I liked the looks of it but I guess I got what I paid for (a $25 combo pack). The mouse isn't bad bud does get glitch every now and then.

Maybe I'll get another wireless keyboard sometime, but for now I've gone back to my trusty wired one!
Marc

I'm sure there are better wireless options available, but they would not benefit me at all. All my work is done at the desk, with an expensive chair. Gotta have that if you're sitting a lot. Seems pointless for me to go wireless when it's not an advantage for me. Wired works fine.

I've had the Logitech MK320 set for my desktop now for several years. Nice layout, good set of special function keys. Works flawlessly. You do have to pop a fresh AA battery in every 6 months or so, but that's not an issue for me.

Pro's:
-No wire to snag on anything ever.
-Easy to pick up and put on the shelf - if I need a bit more desktop space.
-Works great from about 10ft or more.
-No interference from the other wireless keyboards in the room.
-Really plug & play, and (at least for me) full use of the Kb and mouse while the PC is booting. Note- this is important, and YMMV.

>>> Now on sale at Newegg for $25 bucks <<<

2014-10-29 00.16.28.jpg

Not a fan of Logitech keyboards (mushy tactical response) but they make great mouses(?).

Not a fan of wireless keyboards or mouses(?) either and for the same reason (batteries).

I like the Microsoft keyboards for the tactile response and they keys NEVER lose their labeling.

I've had a bunch of keyboards over the years.
My longest lasting and most favorite one was the logitech brand.
I never liked the large "Enter key" that took up 3 regular key spaces.
Logitech for a few years were the only one that I could get around here that used the 2 space "Enter Key".
Same goes for the mice. After moving to wireless mouse, the only thing I mis is the extra USB slot for the receiver. Never the cord.

I just got a kinesis freestyle 2 split ergonomic keyboard for work. Had it for a couple of weeks. Taking some time to adjust to it. Probably because I don't have one for home (yet)

Will post some pics if anyone is curious

It's the result of an ergonomics evaluation that I did after we moved to new part of the building (with new desks and chairs) my new chair is crap, and my back stared flailing up, But is the most "ergonomic" one the currently offer. The eval found some other issues that they wanted to correct, hence the new keyboard and mouse. Still no real fix for the chair. :-/ time to follow-up again.

IBM Model M clicky keyboards with an adapter to USB (or higher quality clones). Anyone who has to type for a living will fall in love all over again. At home I have a Northgate Omnikey Ultra from about 1990 or so. The thing is bulletproof: steel base, solid feeling tactile keys. You could kill a man with it. And NO WINDOWS KEYS!
-Ken

I've had the Logitech MK320 set for my desktop now for several years. Nice layout, good set of special function keys. Works flawlessly. You do have to pop a fresh AA battery in every 6 months or so, but that's not an issue for me.

Pro's:
-No wire to snag on anything ever.
-Easy to pick up and put on the shelf - if I need a bit more desktop space.
-Works great from about 10ft or more.
-No interference from the other wireless keyboards in the room.
-Really plug & play, and (at least for me) full use of the Kb and mouse while the PC is booting. Note- this is important, and YMMV.

>>> Now on sale at Newegg for $25 bucks <<<

I use the same keyboard with no issues.

I use a Das Keyboard (even bought a 2nd for work). It's pricey, but it's a tank and will last. It's has mechanical switches, so you should be sure you'll like that hard feel rather than the squishy style most other keyboards are. It's not for everyone, but I highly recommend it.

I use an IBM laptop Model M hooked to a microcontroller.

I have a cherry brown keyboard too, but I don't like it so I gave it to my mom.

I do want to try the Topre Type Heaven...

I like the wireless keyboard and mouse that came with my iMac for the fact that they are wireless. However, I do miss typing on a keyboard that has good snap to they keys. This keyboard is mushy. For batteries, I use rechargeable.

Wireless keyboards haven't been horrible in my experience, but wireless mice are a bloody exercise in frustration. They decide to skip, stop responding and all sorts of other issues.

I spent 15 months at a client that initially gave me a wireless keyboard and mouse. After fighting it for a month (and numerous sets of batteries), I finally asked for wired of both and my problems went away.

And no, these aren't cheapy no-name wireless devices either.

-Kevin

Logitech G15
I'm a programmer and a gamer, I love having all the extra keys on the left side (function keys up top are a pain).
All the left side keys can be either standard function keys or they can be programmed with macros.
url

Logitech G15
I'm a programmer and a gamer, I love having all the extra keys on the left side (function keys up top are a pain).
All the left side keys can be either standard function keys or they can be programmed with macros.
url

I'm a programmer and gamer and I like the function keys on top where God intended them :wink:

Although I still use a wired mouse, it didn't take me long to embrace the laser jobs. I got soooo tired of servicing that stupid roller ball and cleaning all that trash that collects around the directional rollers. Seemed like in a weeks time, those rollers would start hanging up and you'd find yourself jerking the mouse around frantically just to get it to work. YAY LASERS!

Although I still use a wired mouse, it didn't take me long to embrace the laser jobs. I got soooo tired of servicing that stupid roller ball and cleaning all that trash that collects around the directional rollers. Seemed like in a weeks time, those rollers would start hanging up and you'd find yourself jerking the mouse around frantically just to get it to work. YAY LASERS!

Yep! Optical mice are awesome!

Though they do pick up spooge on the glide pads that needs to be cleaned periodically, it's nothing like having to clean rollers.

-Kevin

always found it odd having to clean cat hair out of my mice :). I hear that gamers dislike wireless input devices.
Rex

Since it's a cheap keyboard, the characters are also cheaply printed, they usually start wearing away after around 6-8 months.

What you need is a keyboard with double shot injection molded key caps except that they don't build them that way any more. I am using a Maxi-Switch model 218600201A that is still going strong after 25 years or so.

I hate clicky keyboards. Back in the early days I used to dream of a soft, quiet keyboard. When they finally came out I grabbed hold and have not let go.

My problem is, I have fat fingers and I am very clumsy. Therefore, I need a really large keyboard with wide keys. About 6 or 8 years ago I found a Microsoft wired keyboard that has a slight curve and really big keys. I have enjoyed it ever since. The keys are easy to read (at least after I clean it) and it is very comfortable to use. I use a wireless mouse and would be fine with a wireless keyboard but I don't need one and I am not giving up my big keys...

Back