NASA structure paint colors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpklein

Reaction score
Why are the gantrys painted gray? They used to be red, it looked alot better. Gray paint is cheaper?

In the 60's the rich paid their share and the country survived off the middle class workers as it's done since it's inception.
Yes, Red paint is more expensive. All reds are.
Today, the rich get huge tax breaks and middle class jobs are in other countries.
Not enough people seen the technology of taking over the job market like it has.
I certainly didn't. Even though I was in a labor market for jobs that machines can't do.
It effected us inderictly.
So I'd say the gray is cheaper and NASA has far less $ for $ than they did in the 60's.
It all began back in the 70's, when Nixon opened trade with the Chineese.
World market fair trade at that point and we were doomed to what the USA is today.
I remember reading a publication called, "It's a Race to the Bottom".
The column was about over seas production to the cheapest rates for the most profit,
and where countries didn't have such stringent safety rules for more profit the exects pocketed.
Qaulity control was also a major factor in profit as it declined because of less stringent QC, or just didn't care.

The red is most likely iron oxide primer/paint. When I was applying industrial coatings we used a gray primer called 'Corroguard". Very fast drying, made for using after sandblasting piers used in underwater salty conditions. It could be that NASA is using a similar product.

Maybe it is easier to spot corrosion on gray paint.

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

I wasn't expecting an answer based on US fiscal and trade policy...

I have to say, I didn't see that coming either. Although it is an interesting thought provoking idea to imagine the rich have drained the living blood from the world to such an extent that even the launch towers look pale, I would guess it has more to do with the corrosion resistant coatings that are grey from the high zinc content (a little nugget from the NASA webpage).

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/flyout/launchpadflyout.html

I have to say, I didn't see that coming either. Although it is an interesting thought provoking idea to imagine the rich have drained the living blood from the world to such an extent that even the launch towers look pale, I would guess it has more to do with the corrosion resistant coatings that are grey from the high zinc content (a little nugget from the NASA webpage).

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/flyout/launchpadflyout.html

Thanks for the link. That's an interesting article. Here is the excerpt about the paint:

Due in part to the proximity of the salty ocean air, the launch pad structures require careful maintenance to keep them from rusting. The last 30 years have seen advances in corrosion treatment, too. Columbia lifted off beside a red launch tower in 1981. By the end of the program, the structures were repainted with a zinc-based coating that gave them a gray look.

The new coating has made a big difference in the pad's appearance following a launch, though.

"Years ago, you'd see snowflakes of rust chips," Sutherland explained.

GWAR likes the Gantry painted like this:

[video=youtube;UIUq7afGg4A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIUq7afGg4A[/video]

Back