Blackhawk-38

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemisterbig

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I wanted to do a minimum diameter rocket after my cert flight. Originally i was going to do a custom but then i cam across the Wildman Blackhawk-38. I really liked the looks and i have read and heard good things about it. I have a few questions about it however. Could i fit a Loki J-1000 in it? What is the density of the carbonite material? What motor would keep it under 8000 feet? And would you guys recommend this rocket?

Thanks, Littlemisterbig

It's a VERY sweet kit - definitely recommended.
- I don't know for certain (not currently near mine or my computer that has my sim files on it), but I don't think fitting a Loki J-1000 would be any problem.
- The carbonite airframe is really nice - think of it as lighter/stronger/THINNER than a standard fiberglass airframe. Plus it's really pretty when polished up.
- Lots of motors would keep it under 8000. Again, I'm not near my RockSim right now, but I could run some sims for you later and give you suggestions. On the other end, there are lots of options that would put it well ABOVE 8000' too.
I just put mine (which is kit-bashed slightly) up to 9200' on an I-59 (endburning Warp9).

I highly suggest a Raven altimeter in a Featherweight AV bay for this rocket - they're "made for each other".

Post pics/videos/launch reports!,
s6

Hey guys,

I wanted to do a minimum diameter rocket after my cert flight. Originally i was going to do a custom but then i cam across the Wildman Blackhawk-38. I really liked the looks and i have read and heard good things about it. I have a few questions about it however. Could i fit a Loki J-1000 in it? What is the density of the carbonite material? What motor would keep it under 8000 feet? And would you guys recommend this rocket?

Thanks, Littlemisterbig

I have flown the J1000 in that rocket. It is a pretty impressive flight to about 15K

Your signature says you don't have a tracker... You better get one :)

I have one. Your never keeping it under 8,000 ft with a J1000. Mine flew to 3,000ft on a small H148R. weighs in at 2.7lbs. It's a nice kit. Yes tracker and dual deployment is a must for high flights.

I too have been eyeing this rocket. Does anyone have an accurate RocSim or Open Rocket file of this? What kind of motor retention do you guys use?

I highly recommend the slimlines for this rocket kit.

+1 they work great, and surprisingly seem to add less drag than what openrocket may lead you to think. Make sure to use rail buttons with standoffs if you end up using a slimline, I used the ACME 38mm rail guides with fincan which have worked well. Mine weighed about 2.3 lbs, and I get a bit under 4,000' on full H's.

Photo Jul 09, 5 01 02 PM.jpg

Last edited:
friction fit all the way:) unless of course you can't because of club rules. i used the acme fin guides too and they worked great!

+1 they work great, and surprisingly seem to add less drag than what openrocket may lead you to think. Make sure to use rail buttons with standoffs if you end up using a slimline, I used the ACME 38mm rail guides with fincan which have worked well. Mine weighed about 2.3 lbs, and I get a bit under 4,000' on full H's.

View attachment 188717

looks like you did what i did and continued to airfoil the fins even more until they were like knife blades:):)

Whats the difference between a rail guide a rail button? Also, did you do tip to tip on that?

Last edited:
Whats the difference between a rail guide a rail button? Also, did you do tip to tip on that?

The rail guides glue on, and are elongated. Yes, I did a single layer of carbon tip to tip on it; it was completely unnecessary strength-wise, but I wanted to learn how to do it for the future. Plus its basically bulletproof now :D

I have used friction fit many times with no issues. Keep in mind, the shock cord is going to be attached to the top of your forward bulkhead......where do you think the motor is going to go IF it were to "remove itself"????

Get a coupler tube, cut it 1" long, put a bulkhead and glue it place and screw in an eyebolt on it and you have a lightweight internal motor retainer.

Its that or get Aeropack's minimum diameter motor retainers. I'd prefer these if you want to bust some speed and altitude.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1
Mariah 54 - CTI RedLightning- I-100 - 6,345 Feet

I have flown a Blackhawk 38 twice and the picture on Wildmans website is me :)

Both times friction fit with no issues whatsoever.

Where can i get a launch tower?
And im quite hesitant about friction fit.

You build a launch tower (or borrow one from someone).

I would be hesitant about friction fit as well - I know other people on here are OK with it and that is their choice. If you do go friction fit, Griffin has it right - be sure to secure the shock cord to an eyebolt on the forward closure - that way if the motor kicks out its still attached. I don't know if this will "fly" at MMMSC, Scott will the the one to decide. I think that he would deny and restate the requirement for positive retention.

I have a BH38 and the slimline looks fine and it works well - I made a little fillet just because I could. On an G-185 it hit a shade under 2000 ft. The raven + 38mm av bay is a neat trick but I think that Landru's 38mm sled with a RRC2+ is a more practical system. I found the Raven 38mm bay to be "fiddly" and the coupler it fits into is a little bit too short for my taste. I also felt very uncomfortable attaching the shock cord to the thin threaded rod. I have seen other people use it with success but mine didn't stand up to the ejection charge.

If I were going to re-do my BH38 I'd probably stick with a much less expensive paper/wood (ply or balsa) 29mm rocket. I don't fly the BH because its not worth the "risk" on the east coast. Rocket + Altimeter + tracker + motorcase is too much for me to risk in a tree when you go out of bounds. Furthermore, I like to see my flight and I am pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to spot that rocket at 3k. A smaller 29mm on single-use motors would be a better bet for me.

Thanks for the heads up Cody. Do you anyone at MMMSC who has a tower?

I don't know... usually people don't fly high at MMMSC because of the limited field size. The highest flight I witnesses was Alex's wild man Jr. on an I something... Something like 5,000 ft.

No friction fit allowed???
Never heard that one before...

JD

MMMSC uses a working sod farm for its operations. Lost metal / plastic motor casings in the grass can potentially damage the equipment. Therefore, in order not to lose the privilege of using the field there is a rule that requires positive retention.

Thanks for the heads up Cody. Do you anyone at MMMSC who has a tower?

Last I knew (and it has been about a year or so at this point) I don't think that anyone at MMMSC had a tower. Ask on their webpage/facebook page to see.

I don't know... usually people don't fly high at MMMSC because of the limited field size. The highest flight I witnesses was Alex's wild man Jr. on an I something... Something like 5,000 ft.
I think that Azzie still holds the record with a 8000+ shot at MMMSC (twice) both landed in bounds if memory serves correct! Again, I have been absent this year so there may have been some other waiver-kissing shots that I missed.

Back