What Ground to Air was used...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When we aided the Afgans to run the Russia out, we supplied them with a shoulder fire one time use rocket launcher to defeat Russia's monster choppers. Does anyone know what that rocket was?
I am going to try and make one full size. The launching system isn't not that big a deal, it's the rocket it's self I need to know.
I'll just mount a rail inside of scrap SS I can get at the junk yard. Out of stuff they took out of Yoplait this year. Thin walled, not too heavy, Mount a handle with a trigger and some aiming thingys on top. Fun will be to try and take out some other big slow take of rockets I have. :tongue: :facepalm: :eyeroll: :bangpan: :grin: :clap:

You're not really going to shoulder fire a rocket, are you?

Shouldn't be all that hard to make one.
And think of the fun you could have with it.
Put Ketchup filled balloon nose cones in the rockets and have a paint rocket fight.
Or just blast the bully on the block.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=IIRC+Stinger+Weapon+System&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=iirc+stinger+weapon+system&sc=0-21&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&id=53DF96D7AEBAC0678577AC7F84D8366F995CFE79&selectedIndex=172

Nice little box up front for a 6v lantern battery, I have a 4x10 scope I replace with 3-9 x 40...This could really fun.

Sorry, "IIRC" is internet-ese for "If I Recall Correctly".

IIRC, the Stingers were made by Ratheon.

Greg

Shouldn't be all that hard to make one.
And think of the fun you could have with it.
Put Ketchup filled balloon nose cones in the rockets and have a paint rocket fight.
Or just blast the bully on the block.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=IIRC+Stinger+Weapon+System&qs=n&form=QBIR&pq=iirc+stinger+weapon+system&sc=0-21&sp=-1&sk=#view=detail&id=53DF96D7AEBAC0678577AC7F84D8366F995CFE79&selectedIndex=172

Nice little box up front for a 6v lantern battery, I have a 4x10 scope I replace with 3-9 x 40...This could really fun.

Simply not a good idea. Stingers use two charges as do most all the shoulder launched missiles. The first motor get's it moving out the barrel and it's done before the rocket leaves the barrel. Some odd feet further out the sustainer ignites. They do this to keep the operator from being burned to a crisp.

A real big one is it violates all the safety rules out there. You are not to launch a rocket past 30* from vertical or stand within 10 feet of a launch.

You want something to stimulate the brain try launching a rocket from underwater....

Yeah, I have been known to plug booster motors with epoxy in clusters, about the only thing I do against a rule as far as rockets go. I just don't fly my clusters around organized launches so there's no problem.

Just remember; it's all good until someone loses an eye......

Listen carefully... your hear it?
Look outside..the black helicopter over your head...

Ok Woody, either you're pulling everyone's leg or you're going on the naughty list. :dark:

Interesting modeling subject. Might need some extra (non-scale) fin area for stability. Don't think I've seen one on TRF yet.

FIM_92E_Stinger_by_daisukekazama (800x493).jpg

I really hate to contribute anything to this Madness, but as someone who has built Cannon, I can't help but mention, if you do build something, make sure it can only be loaded from the Muzzle end. Otherwise BATFE can classify it as a Destructive Device.
You should start by finding out what the Laws are in your Area, and make sure you don't build something illegal.

Muzzel loading was planned so the fins would fold forward as shuved in and snop out once clear of the barrel.
I live in low populated area. I don't think the trees will lind.
Like I said, I've done worse. But I won't say what.
They may still be looking the one responsable for 10cy of a corn field on top of the barn roof.

FYI if you have ever fired a shoulder-fired missle they dont go WHOOSH... like in the movies, a LAW rocket, AT-4 and others make a very loud BANG like a shotgun, because the first motor burns out in the tube.

FYI if you have ever fired a shoulder-fired missle they dont go WHOOSH... like in the movies, a LAW rocket, AT-4 and others make a very loud BANG like a shotgun, because the first motor burns out in the tube.

Maybe can figure out to shoot a blank 12ga shell at the same time.
But going to have to think something else for the tube.
SS was high and they got rid of all it little over a month ago. Stopped in last week and they had none left.
Maybe Schedule 40 PVC. Not even sure it would have to be that.

Locked due to safety concerns. I am pretty sure launching a rocket from you shoulder is less than safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back