Wallops launch in T-1hr!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Challenger was live for me, and I remember seeing the mother's reaction--she knew instantly--even before the media or launch control uttered, "We have an anomaly," or words to that effect.

cecil

I was in college in Melbourne FL and was able to see all the shuttle launches up till October 1985, the last successful challenger flight. The college provided a bus to the cape and we often got to be at the vip site.

I don't think they'll really say anything this early....
The last thing they want to do is speculate....

Teddy

The last thing they want to do is speculate....

Teddy
Very true. If they have any data or hard facts I'd hope they'd share it, but I could see why they'd want to hold back until they've had time to get a report together.

Nate

Ugh. Hits a little close to home for everyone in the space industry, from manufacturers to mission assurance. What an awful situation. Condolences to the Orbital crew.

Where can I watch or hear the update!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I saw this thing from a plane about 4 miles away... Didn't realize what had happened at first. Then I realized the rocket had blown up...

I got some pics. I will post them in a sec.

I saw this thing from a plane about 4 miles away... Didn't realize what had happened at first. Then I realized the rocket had blown up...

I got some pics. I will post them in a sec.

Thank You- I'll look forward to those
Seriously cool stuff

Nate

Last edited:
They're being asked questions that is impossible to answer this early on...
They said it in a nutshell,,,
We know what you saw................

The only thing enlightening said was that a destruct command WAS given to the rocket
at some point after they saw either visually or through telemetry that things were going very wrong.....................

It looked like it exploded when it hit the ground though...............

Teddy

They're being asked questions that is impossible to answer this early on...
They said it in a nutshell,,,
We know what you saw................

The only thing enlightening said was that a destruct command WAS given to the rocket
at some point after they saw either visually or through telemetry that things were going very wrong.....................

It looked like it exploded when it hit the ground though...............

Teddy

I agree- they're asking the same questions in different ways, most of which are impossible to know.
Based on the rough timeframe they gave, it looks like the first explosion was not the RSO. But then there is a secondary explosion you see at about 20sec near where it hits the ground, which would look more like the RSO destruction.
That's just me thinking aloud.

Nate

Last edited:
I made a video compilation of past Antares launches (A-ONE, CRS-1, CRS-2) and today's CRS-3. All four launches are synchronized at you can see them all at once.

[video=youtube;wflPKSgSMgg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wflPKSgSMgg&rel=0[/video]

Disclaimer: original launch videos were taken from SpaceVids.tv youtube channel.

-Alex

Thanks for the link.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
Back