The Rocketry show episode #3 is posted!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgould

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
In this episode, we clear up some information from our previous show, and present listener feedback.

We are also joined by Christopher Pearson of North Coast Rocketry fame.

In part one of our interview with him, he talks with us about his time at North Coast Rocketry, and kicks off our introduction to High power rocketry discussion!

You can find the show on your Stitcher and Tune-In smartphone apps. We are working on more sources!

Enjoy the show!

-C

Just checked my Android phone and found that it had downloaded but haven't listened to it yet.

I did listen to episode #2 earlier this evening and I enjoyed it. Depending on your target audience, your coverage of some of the technical subject matter (CP vs CG for example) could be like trying to take a sip of water from a fire hose. With radio & audio podcasts being "theater of the mind", you don't have the luxury of showing a simple diagram that makes the CP-CG relationship immediately obvious. On the other hand, assuming anyone listening to a podcast has some sort internet access, simply mentioning a link in the show notes might be a solution. Good explanation of motor delays and the 5:1 thrust ratio and a nice retelling of the origin of the hobby. I miss "Uncle" Carl McLawhorn and the Semroc family, too.

Overall, the show comes across with good production values and sounds like two rocketeers talking about rocketry. Just like it should.

Will you be on the IOS podcast app anytime soon?

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Hi there!

We are really working at that. We have submitted the show to iTunes a while back, but haven;t heard anything. We now are in contact with someone @ Apple to try to push this along. :)

We're working on it!

-C

Loren, you can add it manually:
https://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/fanfaq.html

Can I subscribe to a podcast that isn't available in the iTunes Store?
Yes. In iTunes, choose Subscribe to Podcast from the File menu and insert the podcast feed URL for that podcast. In the Podcasts app for iOS, enter the feed URL into the search field in My Podcasts.

Which is kind of stupid and unintuitive since the search field is labeled "Search My Podcasts" implying that you are searching what you've already subscribed to, not entering urls for new podcast feeds, which this "search" field also accepts.

BTW, the feed url for The rocketry show is: https://www.therocketryshow.com/feed

Last edited:
Loren, you can add it manually:
https://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/fanfaq.html

Which is kind of stupid and unintuitive since the search field is labeled "Search My Podcasts" implying that you are searching what you've already subscribed to, not entering urls for new podcast feeds, which this "search" field also accepts.

BTW, the feed url for The rocketry show is: https://www.therocketryshow.com/feed

Thank you for the link. Just downloaded this on my iPhone.

Episode 1 sadly doesn't download, maybe too old?

Will be sure too check them out today.

Thank you for the link. Just downloaded this on my iPhone.

Episode 1 sadly doesn't download, maybe too old?

Will be sure too check them out today.

Hi there!

Just saw the thread, and checked the feed for episode1....yes, it became broken when we switched to the new delivery system. I fixed it now. Episode 1 is all set for download....though listening back to the first program (even looking back after only three episodes) is a little rough. :wink:

-C

Hi there!

Just saw the thread, and checked the feed for episode1....yes, it became broken when we switched to the new delivery system. I fixed it now. Episode 1 is all set for download....though listening back to the first program (even looking back after only three episodes) is a little rough. :wink:

-C

Yeah - I was going to post a comment/email feedback last night that the feed link for episode1 seemed broken, but it was late and I hadn't had time to really dig into it. (I generally like to try to research stuff like that and see if I can't figure out what the broken link should be when I report it.) By the time I was able to look this morning it was all working again.

I got to listen to episode 3 on my drive to work this morning. Looking forward to the second part of the interview. I just wish the episodes were a bit longer to match my commute. (and so you didn't have to break the interview up.)
:)

still early days for the podcast, don't mind that it's a little rough around the edges. (if you are already cringing by episode 3, can't wait to see what you think by episode 300 :D ) looking forward to where this thing is going.

Last edited:
The interview with North Coast Rocketry / Chris Pearson was excellent. I learned a lot about the early days of High Power.

Looking forward to the next release.

The interview with North Coast Rocketry / Chris Pearson was excellent. I learned a lot about the early days of High Power.

Looking forward to the next release.

Thanks, o1d_dude!

rbelknap: Thanks!

For now, I just want to make sure we don't over-stretch it, and have an episode become boring. I've heard too many podcasts do that. :)

I think as we start reaching out to vendors and clubs to connect with what they have going on, the shows will naturally start to extend...just from content alone. :).

Hey, Gang!

We just posted on the website a button that should either bring up your iTunes app (or bring up the option to do so) and easily subscribe to the podcast via iTunes. The process is quite painless, and should help iTunes users. We're still working on the iTunes store. This will help greatly with many other apps when successful!

Thanks!

-C

Hey, Gang!

We just posted on the website a button that should either bring up your iTunes app (or bring up the option to do so) and easily subscribe to the podcast via iTunes. The process is quite painless, and should help iTunes users. We're still working on the iTunes store. This will help greatly with many other apps when successful!

Thanks!

-C

Hey CG - that's a great idea! But I see a problem:

The rss button is a link to the feed (https://www.therocketryshow.com/feed/) Which is the one I used to subscribe manually originally. I see you updated that feed with news about the Antares launch last night.

The problem I see is that the itunes button goes to a different url (itpc://www.therocketryshow.com/podcast). Tt launched itunes for me, (thanks to the itpc:// url scheme) and subscribed to the feed https://www.therocketryshow.com/podcast, but didnt' load any content.

observed behaviour is from a windows 7 pc with iTunes 12.0.1.26 (my work machine which is not what I usually use to subscribe to podcasts.)
attaching screenshots.

feed1.JPG feed2.JPG

Hey CG - that's a great idea! But I see a problem:

The rss button is a link to the feed (https://www.therocketryshow.com/feed/) Which is the one I used to subscribe manually originally. I see you updated that feed with news about the Antares launch last night.

The problem I see is that the itunes button goes to a different url (itpc://www.therocketryshow.com/podcast). Tt launched itunes for me, (thanks to the itpc:// url scheme) and subscribed to the feed https://www.therocketryshow.com/podcast, but didnt' load any content.

observed behaviour is from a windows 7 pc with iTunes 12.0.1.26 (my work machine which is not what I usually use to subscribe to podcasts.)
attaching screenshots.

View attachment 188810 View attachment 188811

Interesting....

Give it a show again...Let me know what happens. Be sure to close the browser & re-open to make sure it isn't holding on to old data. The (new) feed URL should be itpc://www.therocketryshow.com/category/the-rocketry-show/feed/. This will become the TRS *only* link, which will eventually allow us to separate news items & other special podcast media from the regular show feed.

The podcast link you got was an old one going back to when I was building the site. Don't know how that one popped up. wow...

Keep me posted!

-C

Interesting....

Give it a show again...Let me know what happens. Be sure to close the browser & re-open to make sure it isn't holding on to old data. The (new) feed URL should be itpc://www.therocketryshow.com/category/the-rocketry-show/feed/. This will become the TRS *only* link, which will eventually allow us to separate news items & other special podcast media from the regular show feed.

The podcast link you got was an old one going back to when I was building the site. Don't know how that one popped up. wow...

Keep me posted!

-C

Yep both images link to the new feed location. the itunes image opens itunes and subscribes to the feed. the rss link currently just opens the xml in my browser. (but that's the expected behaviour on my setup) :D

Yep both images link to the new feed location. the itunes image opens itunes and subscribes to the feed. the rss link currently just opens the xml in my browser. (but that's the expected behaviour on my setup) :D

That's great to hear! Thanks for letting me know!

-C

How-To Subscribe to The Rocketry Show Podcast on an Apple portable device
(EXPANDED AND UPDATED)

In case people find this thread later, I just wanted post a quick how-to on subscribing to the podcast from your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. I'm going to assume the process is similar for an Android device. I have a galaxy s3, but can't seem to get a podcast app installed from the play store to try out right now.

Method One - On your device
(Tested in iOS 8.1 using the Safari browser and Apple's Podcasts App)
1. Open Safari and navigate to https://www.therocketryshow.com/the-rocketry-show/
2. Find the "RSS | podcast" image / link in the upper-right. (Not the "iTunes" image.)
3. Tap the image to follow the link.
4. The Podcasts app will launch and ask if you want to subscribe to the podcast.

Method Two - On your computer via iTunes
(Tested on OSX Yosemite and Windows 7 with iTunes 12, Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Safari.)
1. Open your browser of choice and navigate to https://www.therocketryshow.com/the-rocketry-show/
2. Find the "iTunes" image / link in the upper-right. (Not the "RSS | podcast" image.)
3. Click image to follow the link.
3a. Your browser may ask you if you want to launch iTunes... say yes
4. iTunes will launch and ask if you want to subscribe to the podcast.
5. Sync your device.

Note for new iTunes 12 users - Apple revamped the interface in iTunes 12, getting rid of the sidebar. In order to find the "Podcasts" section you will need to go to the "View" menu and select "More" and then "Podcasts". You can also access your podcasts by clicking the "..." icon in the upper left corner under the menu bar - (next to the "Music", "Movie", and "TV" icons) and selecting "Podcasts". If you want the "Podcasts" icon to always be visible, click the "..." go down to "Edit" and then check the box next to "Podcasts"

------

I'm adding this section because I tried out Method 1 on my 1st gen iPad (that can't be updated past iOS 5.1.1) and it didn't exhibit the same auto-subscribe behavior I saw on newer versions of iOS. This method is basically the manual search and subscribe that I used to get the podcast on my phone before CG added the links to the show website..

Method Three - On your device
(Tested in iOS 5.1.1 using Safari and an older version the Podcasts App.)
1. Open Safari and navigate to https://www.therocketryshow.com/the-rocketry-show/
2. Find the "RSS | podcast" image / link in the upper-right. (Not the "iTunes" image)
3. Tap and hold the image, then copy the link.
4. Open the Podcasts app, and tap the "My Podcasts" button
5. Tap and hold the search field then paste the copied URL into the field.
6. Tap "Search"
7. The App will ask if you'd like to subscribe to the podcast.

Hope someone finds this useful. :)

Last edited:
Nice!

Glad to hear it, even if the "how-to subscribe with an apple device" I wrote is now out of date. I guess it's still useful if someone finds the site before finding the podcast in iTunes.

Last edited:
I've kept it on the how to listen page as "how to manually subcribe to the show" for iOS devices...cuz you never know....

:)

I'm noticing that it is starting to show up on other apps now. Amazing how many services scan the iTunes list!

-C

Another great show C,you and Jim work very well together.Christopher Person is such a interesting person to talk to.I didn't know he was a from North Coast Rocketry. What a knowledgeable person on High Power rocketry.Looking forward to part 2.Keep up the great work.Now you have me thinking of joining NAR and getting my Level 1.

Very nice work guys! Looked for something like this some time ago and there was nothing available.
Heard all three this weekend and look forward to future shows. Thanks for putting it together.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Hi there!

We are really working at that. We have submitted the show to iTunes a while back, but haven;t heard anything. We now are in contact with someone @ Apple to try to push this along. :)

We're working on it!

-C

Oh, I hope you guys get on iTunes. I don't have a smart phone, but I do listen to tons of podcasts on my cheap mp3 player. I was looking for a rocketry podcast a while back, but found nothing - except Space Rocket History, which I do love, but it's about the history of space rockets, not model or high power hobby rocketry.

I thought about starting one myself, but I'm still pretty new to this, so I'm not sure what I'd talk about. I'm just writing a blog for beginners by a beginner for the time being.

Oh, I hope you guys get on iTunes. I don't have a smart phone, but I do listen to tons of podcasts on my cheap mp3 player. I was looking for a rocketry podcast a while back, but found nothing - except Space Rocket History, which I do love, but it's about the history of space rockets, not model or high power hobby rocketry.

I thought about starting one myself, but I'm still pretty new to this, so I'm not sure what I'd talk about. I'm just writing a blog for beginners by a beginner for the time being.

Hi there!

As of this weekend, we are now on iTunes, and a TON of other places that use the iTunes API. So, that is good news!

What is the URL of your site? Would love to check it out!

-C

I hope you podcast rocketeers don't burn out at this rate of one podcast per week. (V-Max)

Kinda like to see you stick around for the long run. (Moonburner)

We're going back to once every two weeks or so.

Most of this show was already done, and I wanted to get the show production away from launch weekend for our club. This way we are not cramming a launch in, then a show. It'll be nice to be able to do the show at a more relaxed pace. Which show #4 was. Next week, no show, following week, a show. :)

-C

Back