low power testbed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
I would like an inexpensive, simple, and relatively easy to build kit for testing a number of different modifications and ideas. I have an Estes Banshee that probably would have been perfect except it will be way too narrow for the payloads I am putting in there. Also those silly E2X plastics would probably get in my way too. Traditional centering rings, at least an inch wide, at least a foot long, and highly stable all sound good. A payload bay would be nice but I can definitely add one on my own. Also I am limited to 1000 foot flights at this site, but that probably will not be a problem with wide tubes, low power motors, and payloads.

Cheap is good too because I need at least three of them! If there was a local shop with parts I would probably build from scratch but as is it seems easier to get a kit recommendation. Thanks!

A kit that comes to mind is a favorite of mine. The Estes M-104 Patriot Missile. It is a BT-60 sized kit that is very easy to build and is perfect for converting to a payloader. There is a small top section of the BT that would need just a bulkhead to make it a payload bay. It is a very straight flyer that tops out on a C6-5 at around 700 feet.

Good luck.

Jerome

In my current BAR incarnation, I've been using Open Rocket. I highly recommend using to help you either decide which kit to use or design your own test bed. It's easy to learn and there are plenty of rocket data files available at https://rocketreviews.com so you don't have to start from scratch. If you use it to design your own, it'll let you play with all your parameters and run the simulations.

Your proposal seems to imply that you'll be kit-bashing anyways, so why no design your own test bed and build it? That's the cheapest way to go, and you'll end up with exactly what you want.

But if your heart is set on a cheap kit, take a look at Skill Level 1 kits like the Estes Monarch, Cosmic Explorer, Super Alpha, Comet Chaser, and Hornet.
-Wolf

A kit that comes to mind is a favorite of mine. The Estes M-104 Patriot Missile. It is a BT-60 sized kit that is very easy to build and is perfect for converting to a payloader. There is a small top section of the BT that would need just a bulkhead to make it a payload bay. It is a very straight flyer that tops out on a C6-5 at around 700 feet.

+1 on the patriot. Easy build with multiple options for payload tube since the body tube comes as three sections.

Your proposal seems to imply that you'll be kit-bashing anyways, so why no design your own test bed and build it? That's the cheapest way to go, and you'll end up with exactly what you want.

But if your heart is set on a cheap kit, take a look at Skill Level 1 kits like the Estes Monarch, Cosmic Explorer, Super Alpha, Comet Chaser, and Hornet.
-Wolf

At first I thought it might be a pain to specify all the parts I need online instead of in a local shop. Then I found some charts of Estes BT sizes and that made it easy. However, once I grabbed all parts into a cart it still came to $60 and that was before parachutes! Three Patriots should cost me $45, so I think I will start with at least one. If that does not do the trick then I will probably head back to scratch building from parts.

Thanks all!

I'll throw in another Vote for the Patriot.
I scrapped the Chut on mine in favor of a Streamer, and it is a rugged little Bird. Fles my first 808 Camera on it.
I recently stole the Nose Cone from it to do a Scratch Build AIM-120 AMRAAM, so I'm going to have to build another Patriot soon.
The new one is going to be 24mm with Rail Buttons and get Glassed. Streamer on that one too.

Back