Super Alpha mod - The Super Delta

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewdlaudato

Reaction score
Though I like Alpha's for sentimental reasons, I've never liked how my Super Alpha flies. Its always been prone to heavy weathercocking, and seems to think its a jetliner, not a rocket - loves to fly sideways. Those big fins, those small motors... So I did some work in OR to clip its wings and bring its stability down a bit.

Here's the OR for the original Super Alpha:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1414269253.392878.jpg

Now here's the Super Delta, created by eliminating the tip chord:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1414269338.595407.jpg

It loses over 1/2 caliber of stability, but remains at a very stable 1.55c.

Now to do the mod.

Test flight in Berwick this Saturday or Amesbury the following week?

Also, is it the original balsa nosecone or the later plastic?

Can't wait to see it fly.

It is an original balsa nose Kenn. I plan to be in Berwick next weekend. I'm thinking it will Straighten Up and Fly Right. Also designed a mod with a 24mm mount. Might just scratch build that one...

I flew this yesterday at the CMASS launch in Amesbury, MA. Big improvement - doesn't weathercock nearly as much as before. I'm seriously considering removing the 18mm mount and replacing it with 24mm. A fat C or D is what this rocket really wants to fly on.

I built my Super Alpha with a 24 mm mount, just couldn't see flying it on a c motor , it flys well on an E

You could always try the AT 18mm 'D' (single use or reloads).

I like using D24's in my Blue Ninja. One very quick boost to get it off the pad straight and then a nice long glide all within sight.

You could always try the AT 18mm 'D' (single use or reloads).

I like using D24's in my Blue Ninja. One very quick boost to get it off the pad straight and then a nice long glide all within sight.

I'm going to try the AT's. More thrust w/o rebuilding.

Back