Wildman Blackhawk 38 - Nose cone is warped!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed this right off when I unboxed the kit last year. The FG nose is warped. The CG does not lie on the longitudinal axis and the cone is visibly asymmetric. I proceeded with the build anyway. The wall thickness is uneven, and I grinded off some of the thick side of the shoulder with a Dremel, but the whole thing is this way.

I plan on launching this on a J motor to Mach 1.4 and 35 Gs. Should I be worried?

Last edited:
Did you contact Tim about this? If not, WHY?

I'd look into replacing it. It probably won't affect it too much, but it would always bother me.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I would be worried if going past the speed of sound. Chances are due to the unbalance it could cause a bending force, instead of being evenly distributed.

I'd replace it, you paid for a good quality nose cone, not a defective one.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1
Mariah 54 - CTI RedLightning- I-100 - 6,345 Feet

It's better to call than sending a message. Messages can get labeled as spam.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

The same happened to me last year - Tim took care of it right away. Tim's awesome.

I have sent him a message to try to get this taken care of.

Wildman:

Thanks for looking in to this. Not sure what you tried to send me, but I did not receive anything. Let's discuss on Private Message and a phone call.

Thanks.

I noticed this also and went through the rest of my inventory and every one of them does that exact same thing. It is probably the way CTI manufactures them.

Curtis-

the cone in question is from an older order. Pretty sure it is not a CTI item.

Tim promptly sent me a new cone in just two days! All is well. Lovin' the Wildman customer service.

BTW, the new cone is totally different - much thinner and lighter, and most importantly, more uniform. It weighs just 70 g as compared to 150 g of the previous one. This will lead to much better balance and less over-stability.

Thanks!

Methinks this thread demonstrates nicely why Wildman switched suppliers.

-Kevin

That seems a bit unnecessary and harsh. At some point in time every company will most likely have things slip by their quality control and seeing as Performance Rocketry makes (or at least made) majority of the parts for most vendors including Wildman Rocketry until recently, I think it is understandable that some bad parts have slipped through. I have ordered roughly a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff from Performance Rocketry, albeit through Proline Rocketry (takes PRs public orders) and I have always experienced quality products to my specifications in a relatively quick timeframe. Most of my stuff has been custom orders and I have only ever had one problem, a tube was shorter than I had requested and in 2-3 days time I received the correct sized tube free of charge. I am sure others mileage may vary (especially in the past and perhaps things are different as a vendor) but I don't think that comment was inline with the Vendor Complaints Policy that you wrote or at the very least the underling message is currently inaccurate. Good day.

That seems a bit unnecessary and harsh. At some point in time every company will most likely have things slip by their quality control and seeing as Performance Rocketry makes (or at least made) majority of the parts for most vendors including Wildman Rocketry until recently, I think it is understandable that some bad parts have slipped through. I have ordered roughly a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff from Performance Rocketry, albeit through Proline Rocketry (takes PRs public orders) and I have always experienced quality products to my specifications in a relatively quick timeframe. Most of my stuff has been custom orders and I have only ever had one problem, a tube was shorter than I had requested and in 2-3 days time I received the correct sized tube free of charge. I am sure others mileage may vary (especially in the past and perhaps things are different as a vendor) but I don't think that comment was inline with the Vendor Complaints Policy that you wrote or at the very least the underling message is currently inaccurate. Good day.

Further more the nosecone in question was not even my product.
The nosecone in question is a pored plastic knock off of my nosecone.

Curtis Turner-

Wow, I don't even mention a company and people immediately assume that's who I'm talking about.

Things that make you go Hmmmm.....

-Kevin
With the situation being what it currently is, you knew darn well that's what everyone was going to think - give me a break...

As an aside, when encountering problems like this it's always best to contact the supplier directly -- in this case, fortunately someone made Tim aware of the issue and he could get it resolved. Many vendors aren't on the forum, and they'd be unable to help resolve an issue like this as they wouldn't know about it.

-Kevin

Are you scolding me, Mr. Moderator? You are wrong to do so. Go back and read the OP. I was not seeking out the supplier, complaining about the supplier, nor asking the supplier to do anything. I was merely stating the facts of my rocket and asked the forum membership for their opinion of it. The supplier initiated contact with me via this thread (which was nice).

Edit: In fairness to the vendor and his updated products, I deleted from public consumption the video used to describe the situation with the old part.

Last edited:
Good lord, apparently a comment is a conspiracy and people have zero clue what I'm thinking but want to tell me what I'm thinking.

I've deleted my posts. Are you happy?

I'm done.

Good lord, apparently a comment is a conspiracy and people have zero clue what I'm thinking but want to tell me what I'm thinking.

I've deleted my posts. Are you happy?

I'm done.

Virtually nobody knows who made these cones, and rocketry isn't even his target business - wouldn't be any fun to tell people that though. Had you been clear from the start, there would have been no issue. There's a definite conflict of interest here, with you in the middle.

Back