When elections and banner adverts colide on TRF

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Wow!

crazyadvert.jpg

This doesn't have to become a political thread. Because I think everyone would agree that short of J. Dahmer for Congress this level of fear mongering is unnecessary.

Since this certainly appears to be an "advertising" thread, may I hyjack it for a minute?

I'd like to know a couple of things...

First, who was the individual in the advertising industry that decided that the best way to romance my consumer dollar is to insult my intelligence?

Second, how much sense does it make to spend millions of $$ producing and airing television commercials for products that the directed demographic cannot legally purchase?

Little over a decade back there was a big stink in the news about retired Americans making the trip to Canada to purchase prescriptions. It seems they could get their prescriptions at $25 a bottle in Canada, instead of paying $187 a pill here in the States.

Today, we watch drug commercials all day long. We get 15 seconds of "Try our product. It might be right for you. Ask your doctor." Then we get 45 seconds of why anyone would be insane to take even one dose. "Side effects include insanity, rectal prolapse, and death. Tell your doctor if you're addicted to oxygen."

Cuz it kind of bugs me when I see that, and then I have to think about the check I wrote for over $1300 for 7 pills for my sick mother. And I wonder how much of that is ear-marked to pay for advertising a product that the audience cannot purchase.

Since this certainly appears to be an "advertising" thread, may I hyjack it for a minute?

I'd like to know a couple of things...

First, who was the individual in the advertising industry that decided that the best way to romance my consumer dollar is to insult my intelligence?

Second, how much sense does it make to spend millions of $$ producing and airing television commercials for products that the directed demographic cannot legally purchase?

Little over a decade back there was a big stink in the news about retired Americans making the trip to Canada to purchase prescriptions. It seems they could get their prescriptions at $25 a bottle in Canada, instead of paying $187 a pill here in the States.

Today, we watch drug commercials all day long. We get 15 seconds of "Try our product. It might be right for you. Ask your doctor." Then we get 45 seconds of why anyone would be insane to take even one dose. "Side effects include insanity, rectal prolapse, and death. Tell your doctor if you're addicted to oxygen."

Cuz it kind of bugs me when I see that, and then I have to think about the check I wrote for over $1300 for 7 pills for my sick mother. And I wonder how much of that is ear-marked to pay for advertising a product that the audience cannot purchase.

Like car insurance being advertised 300 times a day... We'd all be paying $99 bucks a year for insurance if they weren't advertising so friggin much...

Later! OL JR :)

Aldous Huxley wrote about this in "Brave New World Revisited." Definitely worth a read! It's FREE online at https://www.huxley.net/bnw-revisited/
The portion I've copied below is from "Propaganda in a Democratic Society." But to get the full effect, you should DEFINITELY read the whole thing...

"In regard to propaganda the early advocates of universal literacy and a free press envisaged only two possibilities: the propaganda might be true, or it might be false. They did not foresee what in fact has happened, above all in our Western capitalist democracies -- the development of a vast mass communications industry, concerned in the main neither with the true nor the false, but with the unreal, the more or less totally irrelevant. In a word, they failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions."

I love using this book in the classroom. Nothing is more fun than watching a 16 year old's mind being wrenched open right in front of your eyes...

I have'nt seen any Political/Campaign Banner Ads yet, and I hope I don't.:(

Last edited:
I saw multiple political ads when I was using Android Internet on my phone to view TRF.

Now that I'm using Android Firefox, I see no ads of any sort.

I want to support TRF as much as the next guy but I drew the line at the irrelevance of EPT ads on a rocketry forum.

You guys must be the only ones left on here that see ads. I'm pretty sure everyone else installed an adblocker after the forum was bought out.

99% of the time I don't even notice the ads, but the one I screen captured caught my attention. It just struck me as so absurd I really wondered if someone was running a parody add, but it was "serious".

Back