High visibility flat paints and dirt pickup solution?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Dayglow paints are great for visibility, but they pick up dirt like mad. A clear coat really dulls the visibility effect. Has anyone found any other solutions?

"Fluorescent colors use a larger amount of both the visible spectrum and the lower wavelengths compared to conventional colors. They not only absorb and convert light energy of the dominant wavelength, but also the wavelengths of ultraviolet rays and other colors lower in the visible spectrum. As a result, your eye perceives a far more intense color. Where a clean, bright conventional color is able to reflect a maximum of 90% of a particular color present in the spectrum; a fluorescent color can reflect as much as 200% to 300% [by color shifting]"

As I suspected, the key to finding a clear coat that doesn't affect the vibrancy of the dayglow's color in daylight is to find one that doesn't radically absorb or reflect UV. Since some clearcoats are intentionally designed to block UV, I don't know if that's possible. Comments/suggestions welcome.

"Fluorescent colors use a larger amount of both the visible spectrum and the lower wavelengths compared to conventional colors. They not only absorb and convert light energy of the dominant wavelength, but also the wavelengths of ultraviolet rays and other colors lower in the visible spectrum. As a result, your eye perceives a far more intense color. Where a clean, bright conventional color is able to reflect a maximum of 90% of a particular color present in the spectrum; a fluorescent color can reflect as much as 200% to 300% [by color shifting]"

As I suspected, the key to finding a clear coat that doesn't affect the vibrancy of the dayglow's color in daylight is to find one that doesn't radically absorb or reflect UV. Since some clearcoats are intentionally designed to block UV, I don't know if that's possible. Comments/suggestions welcome.

One of the things to keep in mind: Most Rattle Can Clear Coats contain 0% UV inhibitors, particulally Testors Gloss and Dull Coat, & Krylon 1301 Crystal Clear. The Down side to this is They all YELLOW badly vary quickly with exposure to any UV source (sunlight or fluorescent lights etc).

All Fluorescent paints MUST be applied over some form of White base coat, Many use White primer. I use white primer and Gloss white rustoleum as a base for any fluorescent color coat to ensure the brightest finish.

I've had pretty good luck with Rustoleum Fluorescent Rattle Can paints with their Gloss clear. After clear coating the dirt and fingerprint pick-up problem has been eliminated. Another PLUS for the Rustoleum Fluorescents I've found is they go on without the usual uneven (rough) finish, they are almost as smooth as any other spray paint.

Last edited:
What Micro said.

I use the Rusto fluoro pink and clear coat with Rusto Crystal Clear Enamel. No fingerprints ever. Safe to wipe down with Windex, too.

Be advised that if you use fluoro pink, resist the urge to lay down a lot of coats. Too much and you will end up with a fluoro orange or red. Try to paint all the various parts at the same time so you can get a good color match. Ask me how I know.

I use a white primer under my fluoro pink because it helps keep the color bright. Probably recommended for all the fluoro colors.

Do a search for SEM paint products, you'll find them at automotive supply places like TCP Global. They have a series of Fluorescent concentrates that you add to whatever clear system you use. I have used their Hotter than Pink concentrate mixed with urethane clear over a white basecoat and it comes out highly visible. Couple of negatives, first, you have to mix it with the clear so there is no way to use rattle cans. Second and probably more important, it is pricey at $50-$80 for an 8oz. can. That little can will make a lot of paint but it's still high.

I've had pretty good luck with Rustoleum Fluorescent Rattle Can paints with their Gloss clear. After clear coating the dirt and fingerprint pick-up problem has been eliminated. Another PLUS for the Rustoleum Fluorescents I've found is they go on without the usual uneven (rough) finish, they are almost as smooth as any other spray paint.
Great, thanks! That's exactly the fluorescent paint brand I've already used and I have the gloss clear, too (I've converted 100% to Rustoleum spray paints). Agree 100% on the need for a white base coat under the fluorescent. It's essential.

Back