Good Q2G2 alternatives for dual-deploy charges?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maccadude33

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since it seems that Quest Q2G2s are still unavailable, I was hoping I could get recommendations for some replacement igniters to use with my dual-deploy ejection charges. Are there any decent substitutes I can buy online? So far, all I've seen are a few Estes or Aerotech starters here and there. If not, what kits do you prefer? Has anyone compared using nichrome wire with QuickDip to some of those e-match kits? What sort of results did you get? Thanks.

I bought 4000 e-matches direct from China for a ridiculously low price per each even after shipping costs. They are very reliable (no failures to date). They appear to be virtually identical to JTek only these have 12" leads. The intended use is for pyrotechnics (ejection charges) although they work fine for smaller motors too. I have 1000 left and am considering ordering a few thousand more next year.

This is what I have been using. They work great.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?60469-CJ-s-WaCkY-WeD-Doing-dual-deploy-ya-need-these

PM CJ. If he still has 'em he will fix you up.

I'll look into that, thanks!

I bought 4000 e-matches direct from China for a ridiculously low price per each even after shipping costs. They are very reliable (no failures to date). They appear to be virtually identical to JTek only these have 12" leads. The intended use is for pyrotechnics (ejection charges) although they work fine for smaller motors too. I have 1000 left and am considering ordering a few thousand more next year.

Is there any particular hobby site where you'd go to do that? How long does that take?

You can buy them off amazon and eBay.

There is question of the legality of shipping and/or buying.

Is there any particular hobby site where you'd go to do that? How long does that take?

No site in particular. As you can imagine fireworks are very popular in China and these are used in that industry. Shipping nearly doubled the cost. It took a couple of weeks to get here. You can get small quantities off of eBay too.

Well when you have a club and two vendors buying, it adds up pretty quickly. If you are paying more than $0.20 a piece, you being robbed.

Back