Bunnell Blast 2014 - November 8-9 - Bunnell, Florida

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
NEFAR's Bunnell Blast is coming soon! It's a bit early to check the weather forecast, but early November usually brings cool, clear, calm days to Northeast Florida - perfect for a weekend of rocketry.

I've got my "YouBee" (an upscale of the Odd'l Rocket's Break Away) almost ready to fly. I've flown it a few times on K motors including a launch at last year's Bunnell Blast. This year, I plan to use an L motor which will allow it to reach close to 4000 feet ... and "wacky wiggle" as it falls over one-thousand feet before the main 'chute deploys. Okay, I have to admit I got a little bit of a nervous feeling just typing that. :)

Anyone else prepping for the Blast?

-- Roger

I see this is from the website for normal operations.....

"The field is FAA waivered for high power rockets flying up to 2,000', with call in for "windows" to higher altitudes up to 10,000 feet."

Will this be in effect for the event?

Thanks.

I have two rockets and my custom-made parachutes one rocket will go over a mile it's a 54 mm with a 38 mm motor mount and the other one is a 12 foot tall 5.5 inch 4 x 38mm cluster two starting on the pad and two starting in the air :)

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I see this is from the website for normal operations.....

"The field is FAA waivered for high power rockets flying up to 2,000', with call in for "windows" to higher altitudes up to 10,000 feet."

Will this be in effect for the event?

Thanks.

Yes, that's our standard waiver which has been in effect for years. Since many of our flights are over 2000', we make a lot of calls. But, most of the time we are given a window right away.

This comes from my experience as a spectator since I haven't flown anything over 2000' (yet). So, if you're planning a really high-altitude flight, you might wish to contact one of the club officials through the web site at https://www.nefar.net/ just to make sure everything will be okay.

BTW, you can see a satellite view of the launch site at:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/clegg-sod-farm.html

"Our" field is pretty much all of the cleared area from the marker to the tree lines.

-- Roger

I'm coming up for the first time to a NEFAR event. I have an L2 cert that I haven't used for a while, so I dusted off a couple of rockets that are happy on H power and I'll be bringing my girlfriend's 9 year old, who now has six successful launches under his belt on B and C power. We are really looking forward to it.

This weekend, I got my "YouBee" ready for the launch. I made sure that I have all the parts for the L1115 motor. I took the electronics bay apart, replaced the battery, and checked all the wiring. Then I put it back together. I assembled the rocket and found out that I'm missing two of the shock cords. They are probably in the trailer, but instead of unloading it to make sure, my wife, Bracha, is making two new shock cords. I replaced the parachute with a new Top Flight 120" 'chute since the rocket will be heavier than before and the previous 'chute was a bit on the small size.

The YouBee should reach about 4000 feet on the L motor. I feel a little nervous every time I type that.

I also repaired the Geminee Thunder that I flew at NEFAR last month. I glued the pylon back together and removed a little of the nose weight from the glider. It balances right now and shouldn't break again.

-- Roger

Is the spider going to fly ? That was so cool last year

We're still rebuilding it after the crash landing at the GRITS launch earlier this year. I'm hoping we'll have it ready for the next GRITS.

-- Roger

Oh I did not know man that's sucks!!!!!
What happened

You won't regret it Chris. Looks like the wind will be out of the north witch will be good if the weather report stays the same.As now it will be good flying.

Bill

I'm bringing the store. I don't know how much flying I will do. Looks like my week will be spent getting the computer back up. Stupid hard drives...it is a 6hr+ drive as well. Where does everyone stay?

Christopher Short
Chris' Rocket Supplies
www.csrocketry.com
850-554-6531

We're still rebuilding it after the crash landing at the GRITS launch earlier this year. I'm hoping we'll have it ready for the next GRITS.

-- Roger

Oh I did not know man that's sucks!!!!!
What happened

[YOUTUBE]_4cGJzE1g-g[/YOUTUBE]

You didn't attach the shock cord

I'm bringing the store. I don't know how much flying I will do. Looks like my week will be spent getting the computer back up. Stupid hard drives...it is a 6hr+ drive as well. Where does everyone stay?

It's official. The Super 8 at Ormond Beach is offering a 49.99 plus tax nightly rate for Friday and Saturday of the Bunnell Blast. This reservation can be cancelled up to 24 hours before and there is no problem with late check-ins. Remember to ask for the "rocket rate". Phone: 1-386-672-6222

We met the owners of the Super 8 at the Maker Faire in Orlando a couple of months ago. They live in Orlando and said they haven't been to one of our launches. I suggested that they try to make it out to the November launch. And, I thanked them for supporting our club (and, on behalf of "Oscar, the Rocket Dog," for allowing small pets in the rooms).

-- Roger

Last edited:
You didn't attach the shock cord

The shock cord was fine. The top of the rocket comes down under it's own 'chute after pulling the deployment bag away from the main 'chute.

The problem was that I packed the 'chute into the deployment bag incorrectly. If I had packed it right, it's not likely that the 'chute would have failed to open. It's one of those things you realize that you did wrong as soon as you see the problem happening in flight.

-- Roger

I need to stop checking the forecast. It was very nice a few days ago. Now.....crap...

Keeping fingers crossed. Just hope the wind doesn't come out of due east. I'm going to recheck the weather Friday. I personally think it's going to be OK.

What the hell yesterday weather was perfect now today it sucks crap!!!!!!!

Tomorrow looks good. Sunday is a different story. But we know how the Florida weather is. Rain on one side of the street and sunshine on the other side. See you at the launch.

Back