SARA/ SOUTHERN ARIZONA ROCKETRY ASSOCIATION

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Terry, too bad about GHS those guys can't get a break. Never knew big horn sheep were so sensitive around Moreci they are dog tame and walk right by on minesite! Not sure about flying this month hope all comes together waiting on some parts for the Astro B and parts for a Wilman jr I purchased in October. Still waiting on the Performer 150 may have to switch to plan c for my level 3. Should know more after the holidays. I'll email you before the launch I may need to borrow a motor housing.
Kevin

Is there any place to fly on Saturdays without waiting until Feb?

I think you can fly estes low power at Silver Bell park where they have rc boat races and the like. Otherwise you can fly up to 3.3 lb rockets with up to 4.4 oz of propellant (small H's) without an FAA waiver. You cannot fly on National Park land like we go thru on the way to the launch site. I suspect any land that target shooters use would work as a launch site. That being said I do not know any specific locations that you can use locally, even though I suspect there are ones out there. I would recommend have your NAR card with you just in case authorities have an issue with it and make sure to get permission if accessing private land.

I think you can fly estes low power at Silver Bell park where they have rc boat races and the like. Otherwise you can fly up to 3.3 lb rockets with up to 4.4 oz of propellant (small H's) without an FAA waiver. You cannot fly on National Park land like we go thru on the way to the launch site. I suspect any land that target shooters use would work as a launch site. That being said I do not know any specific locations that you can use locally, even though I suspect there are ones out there. I would recommend have your NAR card with you just in case authorities have an issue with it and make sure to get permission if accessing private land.

Thanks. I am not yet Level 1 certified so that isn't a restriction for me. I am trying to find out if is is legal to use BLM ranch land. I am surrounded by miles and miles of it on the South East side...I really want to see if the Pima County fairgrounds would allow use of their vast parking lot that is only used for about 20 days a year...

Hi you will need permission from the pima county fair commission. I'm a member of Southern AZ Modelers which is on the south est corner of the fairgrounds next to the drag strip. Keep in mind that the rc guys fly almost every morning. The field is very busy on the weekends from sunrise until after lunch.
BLM land is ok but make sure your not on state trust land! Many target shooters have been sited by the SO and have been told the second infraction means a court hearing and confiscation of their wepons.
The nearest BLM land on the eastside of town we've found is on the south side of Empirita Rd and you need to drive a mike or so on single track dirt road to get ther. I don't recomend it after a rain storm fo a few days.
It's getting more difficult to find public land to enjoy hobbies on!
Kevin

Hi you will need permission from the pima county fair commission. I'm a member of Southern AZ Modelers which is on the south est corner of the fairgrounds next to the drag strip. Keep in mind that the rc guys fly almost every morning. The field is very busy on the weekends from sunrise until after lunch.
I live out in Corona and have driven by that Southern AZ Modelers field at least fifty times and never seen a soul out there. I guess I have just been really unlucky...
BLM land is ok but make sure your not on state trust land! Many target shooters have been sited by the SO and have been told the second infraction means a court hearing and confiscation of their wepons.
The nearest BLM land on the eastside of town we've found is on the south side of Empirita Rd and you need to drive a mike or so on single track dirt road to get ther. I don't recomend it after a rain storm fo a few days.
It's getting more difficult to find public land to enjoy hobbies on!
Kevin

I need to check more closely. I thought the entire stretch east of Houghton to Wentworth, from I10 south to Sahuarita Rd was BLM land.

You can check with Peggy at the fair commission she should be able to tell you if you can use the parking lot or the polo field at the fairgrounds. I suspect you will have some paperwork to fill out and will have to prove that you have liability insurance. She requires this of the SAM club in addition to a lease agreement.
As for launching on public grounds a lot of people do a lot of activities on public land until some official tells them they can't. You will have to determine if this is the direction you want to take.
The county has put forth a lot of effort to make recreation areas for a lot of activities around the fairgrounds and it sounds like there are plans for future activities as well.
You will have to determine if you want put something together with the fair commission like the drag strip, RC field, go cart tracks, car racing, motorcycle park, shooting range, in addition to the equestrian activities that all happen in that vicinity.
Kevin

I live out in Corona and have driven by that Southern AZ Modelers field at least fifty times and never seen a soul out there. I guess I have just been really unlucky...

I need to check more closely. I thought the entire stretch east of Houghton to Wentworth, from I10 south to Sahuarita Rd was BLM land.

I always just figured if people can be out in BLM land bird hunting and target shooting it was ok for rockets. We (family) go out behind my kids place where there has always been a lot of bird hunting and target shooting/pinal county/ and let em rip. Never a problem. But we have never called for permission or to find out if its ok or not,. There are no -no trespass signs anywhere. We always take fire fighting equipment with but I think I will make a call before our next launch. Unless anyone has a for sure answer on the legality.

Last edited:
I know it's getting more difficult in Pima County. The sheriffs office has been enforcing the state trust land requirements, you need a use permit for various activities, you can hunt on STL but no target shooting. Target shooting must happen on BLM land, according to the SO they say it's from the trash left from shooters. You need a permit for mountain biking, and four wheeling on STL. Yes, I pay the $20.00/year to mountain bike at fantasy island off of Houghton and Valencia, and have friends that four wheel and have the permit so they can stop and picnic while out, guess you can drive you're just not allowed to stop and enjoy yourself. In my opinion it's just another way of the state finding a way to generate funds! Guess you got to pay to play now a days!
Kevin

I always just figured if people can be out in BLM land bird hunting and target shooting it was ok for rockets. We (family) go out behind my kids place where there has always been a lot of bird hunting and target shooting/pinal county/ and let em rip. Never a problem. But we have never called for permission or to find out if its ok or not,. There are no -no trespass signs anywhere. We always take fire fighting equipment with but I think I will make a call before our next launch. Unless anyone has a for sure answer on the legality.

Where in Pinal County do you go?

There are a few places I know of close to I-10 / I-8 where I can go launch up to G's without any problems

There are a few places I know of close to I-10 / I-8 where I can go launch up to G's without any problems
approx 8 miles South by SouthEast of QueenCreek..

Due to a conflict with an event planned by TIMPA, Desert Heat 2015 has been moved a week later to March 28 and 29. Looks like it had to be rescheduled due to a date conflict with "The Tucson Jet Rally" (which is well worth attending if you have the opportunity).

Also I have been looking around on the net for maps and so forth. Seems as long as we dont create a hazard-clean up and be respectful of the land it would be alright to launch out here. I do see where these "rules" apply to target shooters. Is it the Tucson field office I need to call ? Or do have you some definitive info. we are flying by( Mile or so away) the Large aquaduct southeast of QueenCreek. (it runs northwest by southeast) The cattle men out here occasionally run their beef thru to eat up the grass and say the land is available to use as it is BLM controlled. Sounds right but I dont now for sure.

Due to a conflict with an event planned by TIMPA, Desert Heat 2015 has been moved a week later to March 28 and 29. Looks like it had to be rescheduled due to a date conflict with "The Tucson Jet Rally" (which is well worth attending if you have the opportunity).
Dang it!!!! lol
Lets get a weekday launch planned... Tuesdays or Wednesdays anyone ? and all ? It would be cool to get a few flyers together and go fly some mid power some weekday--Brunch launch lol!!!

I'm down for a "Brunch Launch", if given enough notice (3-4 days)!

I feel a bad case of APC poisoning coming on!!! and will have to call in sick to work if there's a brunch launch!
Kevin

I feel a bad case of APC poisoning coming on!!! and will have to call in sick to work if there's a brunch launch!
Kevin

Once a month a little more or less we fly out here in the san- tan area. but would for sure make it out to where ever between here and Tucson.
We flew yesterday.Tuesdays/ Wed. are our launch days . Here are some pics and as you all know-we had beautiful launch weather.
View attachment 250932View attachment 250933View attachment 250935View attachment 250937View attachment 250942View attachment 250945View attachment 250946View attachment 250947note the new shorter LOC 4-29SS. The leads did not disconnect and the rocket crashed. you can see the evidence in the the launch pic. My fault. but all is well. Bonus was all 4 Estes f15's were lit at the same time. the Mirage went on a Aerotech G64 How about Feb.10 or 11 weather permitting.?

Last edited:
I've only lived inAZ for ten years. Wher is SanTan?

The SAN TAN area is south east of Phx and southest of Queen Creek or just south of Queen Creek. The SAN TAN mountain range area in Pinal county.:)

Crazyed

The place I was thinking is off Sunland Gin south of I-10 Near Arizona City.

Crazyed

I will have a look:) Also the nearest cross roads for our site is quailrun and judys rd. we launch southeast of there about 3miles. Or right there on south west corner 1/2 mile in of that intersection depending on what we are flying.

Last edited:
Crazyed

AZ city looks good too. Its closer than Mirana for me. But I would gladly come down to Marana for a weekday launch if we could get access to the site. The weather is so good and should be for 4 or 5 months . We really should get a few flyers going on this. Feb 10 or 11 anyone? 10a to 1 or 2pm Mid power or less. to keep it safe.

From the SARA facebook site:

Gloria from Animal Motor Works will be at our club launch on January 25th, making a long trip from Massachusetts.
There is not much that they don’t have that a Rocketeer would need. They carry all CTI motors and hardware. Their newest additions include a large stock of Fiberglass Body tubes couplers, nose cones and Mad Cow kits. They will also put together special order DIY kits.
Check out https://amwprox.com/ before January 16th, and if there is something you want for sure you can order and say Hold for Pickup at the SARA launch.
Any questions, call 603-566-2904 or email [email protected]

Count me IN!
I would be interested!
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by rdbones Crazyed

AZ city looks good too. Its closer than Mirana for me. But I would gladly come down to Marana for a weekday launch if we could get access to the site. The weather is so good and should be for 4 or 5 months . We really should get a few flyers going on this. Feb 10 or 11 anyone? 10a to 1 or 2pm Mid power or less. to keep it safe.

Last edited:
From the SARA facebook site:

Gloria from Animal Motor Works will be at our club launch on January 25th, making a long trip from Massachusetts.
There is not much that they don’t have that a Rocketeer would need. They carry all CTI motors and hardware. Their newest additions include a large stock of Fiberglass Body tubes couplers, nose cones and Mad Cow kits. They will also put together special order DIY kits.
Check out https://amwprox.com/ before January 16th, and if there is something you want for sure you can order and say Hold for Pickup at the SARA launch.
Any questions, call 603-566-2904 or email [email protected]

This is great news- I was planning on taking only the written test on the 25th for my Level 2, but knowing there will be a motor vendor there and I can save on HazMat, I may fly, so I can stock up on L2 reloads! Any problems with that plan?

Nope, you can always have one reload in your possession for certification purposes. If you do a successful L2 flight you can buy as much as your wallet will allow right away. If you cannot do the cert flight, you can have someone hold on to any extra reloads you want to get till you can complete it.

This is great news- I was planning on taking only the written test on the 25th for my Level 2, but knowing there will be a motor vendor there and I can save on HazMat, I may fly, so I can stock up on L2 reloads! Any problems with that plan?

Are you planning on a NAR or TRA Cert?

Count me IN!
I would be interested!
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by rdbones Crazyed

Right on, Feb 10 or 11 ? Lets push forward on this
And can I access the site in my auto or do iI need a truck? 10am? Im going to have alook further on map quest and a earth view. I have 3 rockets to fly. Mirage- Barracuda and Eliminator.
Any one else in? Terry?

Right on, Feb 10 or 11 ? Lets push forward on this
And can I access the site in my auto or do iI need a truck? 10am? Im going to have alook further on map quest and a earth view. I have 3 rockets to fly. Mirage- Barracuda and Eliminator.
Any one else in? Terry?
That location looks great.. You talking between I-10 and Az city? Regardless , the area seems perfect. not too far for me. Send an email if you want

Back