SARA/ SOUTHERN ARIZONA ROCKETRY ASSOCIATION

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it is monsoon season you can expect temps in the 100 - 110 range with humidity and the chance of wind / rain / dust in the afternoon

That was a great launch in the southern Arizona desert today. Started a bit chilly but warmed up nicely. Many awesome launches. A lot of great people-big turn out along with the Scout Group, ASU HPR Team, all the SARA launch activities team. Got hear the sound barrier shot gun "pop" on - I dont remember what motor but that was cool. Did get a video with audio. Will post when I get it on the computer. I hope some others post some pics here too. We also had some "funny" moments. "Odd" mishaps I guess you could say. But of coarse all in all- GREAT!!! POST PICS IF YOU GOT EM PLEASE:cool: My 4-299SS launched perfectly on twin G53-7FJ's due in part to Terrys "cluster buster" equipment. Jim and I went on a 45min walk to recover and we werent the only ones due to plenty of high altitude launches.
Take care all--see you when we can
Ed and Son(Jim)

Last edited:
OOOPS.. From what im hearing that wasnt the sound barrier we (I) heard but some kind of back fire from the motor.

Minimum diameter rockets with V-max motors are always quite loud. Tom Just's 2 inch carbon fiber rocket "Gone" makes the most amazing shriek when flown on a K2045 Vmax.

[Got hear the sound barrier shot gun "pop" on - I dont remember what motor but that was cool. Did get a video with audio. Will post when I get it on the computer.]
This was probably my rocket on an I-800 v-max.Those and warp 9 usually have a pop on motor burn out.

Great time at the launch on Saturday! Here is the maiden voyage on this guy. 7'4" of fun on a J570 dual deploy flight.

[video=youtube;uzG8qDH_KXc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzG8qDH_KXc[/video]

nice flight! Did the main event happen before the end of the video? It was hard to tell if that was the drogue or the main. Surprised to see so many clouds in Tucson, and maybe it was perspective, but that seemed to me a good deal higher than 2300 feet!

Great time at the launch on Saturday! Here is the maiden voyage on this guy. 7'4" of fun on a J570 dual deploy flight.

[video=youtube;uzG8qDH_KXc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzG8qDH_KXc[/video]

Thanks soopirV. That was the main at the end of the video. The video looks better when it's blown up on my PC straight from my phone. The clouds blocked the charge at apogee for the drogue, but it was a great flight. Gentle landing, but caught some serious road rash when the wind took the rocket surfing thru the desert.

That was a cool flight.. I have a couple videos to post but i guess i need to have them up on youtube before i can export them here. Any way to do it off my computer without youtube?

[Got hear the sound barrier shot gun "pop" on - I dont remember what motor but that was cool. Did get a video with audio. Will post when I get it on the computer.]
This was probably my rocket on an I-800 v-max.Those and warp 9 usually have a pop on motor burn out.
That was the fastest off the pad launch ive ever seen!!!I have a clip of it and thats all. All i got was the flash of the motor burn and it was gone. way to go!

Well the GHS launch has been postponed till January 10th and 11th so I will be attending our Dec 13 launch after all and will be available for cert assistance if needed.

I sure hope GHS goes this time.. alot of people looking forward to that one . At the same time im sure the club is happy to have you at home too;) See you all when I can
Ed

That view reminds me of the fact that I lost a CTI 29mm 6 Grain case with closure in February of 2014...don't suppose anyone has stumbled upon it? I hope to get to the December launch, and will enquire about lost and found when I'm there.

If I dont make it out in Dec. look for a 6"x 30" green crayon with a 54mm 852 aerotech casing I lost at Desert Heat in March

Dang,, hope all is found. I lost a VB Extreme 24 (white) out there. I had that rocket for 14 years,doggone.

Hi Ed,
Last weekend we got rained out and the elections were postponed until January. I suspect everyone is waiting for their black Friday sale items to arrive and will be working hard to finish their projects prior to Desert Heat in March.
I haven't heard who's going to GHS yet. I'll have to send out some emails to see who's going.
Hope you have very Happy Holidays.
Kevin

Hi Ed,
Last weekend we got rained out and the elections were postponed until January. I suspect everyone is waiting for their black Friday sale items to arrive and will be working hard to finish their projects prior to Desert Heat in March.
I haven't heard who's going to GHS yet. I'll have to send out some emails to see who's going.
Hope you have very Happy Holidays.
Kevin
And right back to you Kevin--Happy Holidays!!!
Im working on an AT Mirage now. Hope to have it ready for a desert launch shortly after Christmas. We will see.

Looks Good - Cant wait to see it fly ! !!

And right back to you Kevin--Happy Holidays!!!
Im working on an AT Mirage now. Hope to have it ready for a desert launch shortly after Christmas. We will see.

Ditto- nice work on the stripes. Didn't see on your build thread how you did that- what type of tape?

Ditto- nice work on the stripes. Didn't see on your build thread how you did that- what type of tape?
Thanks I first painted the frame yellow and then taped off the sections I wanted yellow and then sprayed with black . Painted the air frames separately then assemble and twist the sections to get the off set look.( I hope I explain that right :) )
With the blue painters tape and it does work. It looks like regular masking tape but blue and does the trick for clean cut lines//

Well GHS launch has been cancelled, so it is pretty much our local launches till Desert Heat at end of March. Kevin, will you have your upscale Astrobee-D ready to Launch in January? It's been too long since you got a bird in the air! Did you receive your L3 kit yet or are they still playing availabity/shipping games with you?

I'm looking forward to the SARA launch in January....I've got an itchy launch button finger.

Back