SARA/ SOUTHERN ARIZONA ROCKETRY ASSOCIATION

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably won't happen...while it is trust land and fine for recreational activities...the area can be closed and gated off entirely by the AZ National Guard at any time...they hold live fire drills sometimes. If the red flags are up...you are not allowed to be back in there. The airspace is marked MOA...so technically the FAA can't give waiver to an area that they don't have control over.

And speaking of State Trust Land:) I just might be going out there Tues. AM if I can get my son here in time. Desert Heat was great but I still have launch fever. My Mirage needs more airtime. It looks like it needs an H128W and an H238T. But may need an additional G138T to cure the fever. My Barracuda requests an F52T as well. The sooner my rockets eat these motors, , the sooner I need to buy more> :)

Last edited:
We had a real fine time out there south of AJ. Weather perfect. Clear skies. Brett got his miniDX3 to a 3100 ft altitude on a VMAX H410. It was a bullet off the pad and mangled his blast deflector. I got 1570 ft with a G64. Brett flew a few more on varied motors G and H size. I flew my Mirage on a H128 for a great straight up flight. Also my Barracuda on a F52. We both had no issues and no lost or damaged rockets. Brett's Chute Release worked perfect every time. I will be going for one soon. Its a good item for flying high with non dual deploy rockets.

IMG_20160419_092814_944.jpg

IMG_20160419_091324_684.jpg

IMG_20160419_111341_504.jpg

It was a bullet off the pad and mangled his blast deflector.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1461111174.989034.jpg
I might of been just as well off using cardboard for a deflector...day-um! I believe I'll cut a hole in 1/8" stainless as a replacement deflector.

Brett. You should crop that pic I sent of the VMAX I did but I can't get it to post. Its a cool pic. And lol.. Yes the deflector looks like it WAS cardboard. Lol. But it was metal. My H motor had no effect on it.

Last edited:
that space between the nozzle and flame is cool. I don't know what it means but it was cool. Maybe something to do with the speed and pressure the thrust was exiting.

I think the non-medical term for the space between the nozzle and the "heat" is the taint, at least that's what urbandictionary.com would have us believe! Lmao, sorry, crude but couldn't resist!
Awesome shot, and I totally agree- very cool!

Another use for those BP holders from Aerotech HP motors. Charge holders for dual deploy.:cool: the containers are marked off in tenths of 1g up to 2g. I stuff dogbarf in the top to keep the powder on the lighter . they snap shut but I put a touch of masking tape over for added security and a dab of glue at the bottom to keep the powder in(slight leak if I don't) drill the bottom hole with a 3/32 bit or snip it with fingernail clippers.

IMG_20160420_093032_617.jpg

Last edited:
I am reading more about roll-you-own motors in the Ex section here, and am wondering if, since SARA is affiliated with Tripoli, Ex flights are permitted? Does anyone in Tucson do this? I'd like to learn more, if possible. I'm currently a NAR member only, but would join TRA as well, of course.

SARA's agreement with the city doesn't allow for Experimental motors. The nearest Ex site is in Phoenix with the TRAPhx group at Eagle Eye.
I don't know of anybody in Tucson working on Ex motors at the moment. I know that Roy P outside of Casa Grande is active you might try to talk with him.
Kevin

SARA's agreement with the city doesn't allow for Experimental motors. The nearest Ex site is in Phoenix with the TRAPhx group at Eagle Eye.
I don't know of anybody in Tucson working on Ex motors at the moment. I know that Roy P outside of Casa Grande is active you might try to talk with him.
Kevin

That's a bummer, but honestly not surprised. Thanks for the info- I don't get to as many SARA launches as I would like, so I don't think I'll have much chance visiting Aguila with any regularity. Guess I'll keep my interest at the academic level!

If we can get a waiver I can fly my PIKE on a H220:cool: But if we don't-- Its all good, plenty of other rockets and motors.

I want a waivered launch ed, positive thoughts! Brett said he would do an L

"ROCKETS AWAY!"
Well folks we received a FAA waiver for a Mid-Week Members Only Class 2 Launch, Thursday June 9 from 8 am to Noon.
Thanks Kevin Westfall!
Come out and fly some rockets. :)
Ken Weaver

I'm leaving for Lucerne at 0-dark:30 Thursday morning...bringing a bunch of vendor orders back for people...we're still flying on Tuesday the 14th right?

Ya know Brett the old saying..I don't know but im sure there is one. We got 2 good flights. My Mirage Flies straight and true everytime . Your Nike kicked butt and it was up there/Frikkin high was the altitude I figure. It was a good launch. You have some nice launch equipment you've built there. when ever I show Valerie the pics and tell the stories she says "That Brett is hard core" her words. Looking forward to next time....more water and shade

Last edited:
I was daydreaming/reminiscing just now about when I'll be able to get to my next SARA launch, and was thinking back to the great ones I've attended, and had a question; not sure if there's an answer. Two or three Desert Heats ago, there was a large M on the away pad- I don't remember the name, but it was probably 14-16" in diameter, and maybe 8-9 feet tall? It was black and red, I believe, and I recall seeing a couple of teenagers (younger end of the range) with it, but obviously it wasn't theirs alone. The most memorable thing about this was that it launched on its own- I remember the LCO was running the mid power pads at the time, and it just roared to life. Anyone else remember that? Was the root cause ever identified? Thankfully no one was near it, but it was definitely a surprise!

Back